Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a silver '98 B5 with some tasteful mods. Apart form the tinker-toy control arms and a de-sludge at about 100k, this car has been a joy to drive for the 110,000 miles I've owned it.

I wasn't looking for a car but stumbled on a '02 B5.5 GLS variant today with 24k on the clock for $14,000. I never considered a variant, but I'm drawn to it like a moth to a flame. Everything is in the right place and it is all too familiar. Should I go hard at the guy and try to steal it for $12,500, or let it go. It is a dark color, very clean and straight, not a sedan, stock, last generation, etc. hell, I don't even know if my clubs will fit in the back.

Throw some logic at me, tell me how you transitioned from sedan to (gasp) wagon. What about mods, chips, include costs if possible. Thanks for your input. I need help.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
24k doubt he even budge on that price...and if it has a clean carfax and never had paint work and all service records... thats a good price.

·
Registered
831 Posts
i can't help you... i've full of variant envy, hoping if i ever get married i can convince the wife she needs a variant... do it do it :poke: :poke:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Price is quite fair. You can easily fit several sets of clubs in a variant. I have.

The only question I would ask is how has it been driven - was it a daily (or frequent driver) on short trips or was it not driven much (garage queen).

Frequent short trips (couple of miles), will keep the mileage down but not allow the car to hit operating temps when it is driven and could result in issues. If it was a garage queen - you are golden!

·
Banned
401 Posts
I have a silver '98 B5 with some tasteful mods. Apart form the tinker-toy control arms and a de-sludge at about 100k, this car has been a joy to drive for the 110,000 miles I've owned it.

I wasn't looking for a car but stumbled on a '02 B5.5 GLS variant today with 24k on the clock for $14,000. I never considered a variant, but I'm drawn to it like a moth to a flame. Everything is in the right place and it is all too familiar. Should I go hard at the guy and try to steal it for $12,500, or let it go. It is a dark color, very clean and straight, not a sedan, stock, last generation, etc. hell, I don't even know if my clubs will fit in the back.

Throw some logic at me, tell me how you transitioned from sedan to (gasp) wagon. What about mods, chips, include costs if possible. Thanks for your input. I need help.

24K for $14000 thats cheap. I had a friend who got the same thing GLS variant 02 65K he payed the dealer $14000 PLus he gave him his old nissan with 130 some K. IF he sells it for $12500 YOu should take it and RUN:thumbup:

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
If it were stick, I'd be all over it already. As it stands, I paid about $19k out the door for my 2005 with 1,500 on the clock. Traded in my first '05 with 30k on the odo.

If I'd done more research, I'd have sought the coveted 2005 wagon with the 5spd MT, 1.8t and 4MO. A chip, DV and suspension parts makes that a fun, economical and useful car.

At any rate, I love my wagon. It needs some serious cleaning and some lighter wheels, but it's still great.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm new here, but have been loving my wagon for the past few months. I'm also not into the mods, but I can speak from experience about how much stuff you can put in the back. Just throw down those seats and keep packing!! I got three suitcases, a road bike, all my dogs gear and groceries on our last trip. I think I can even hear an echo, echo, echo...

Ok, seriously, since we bought our 2001 v6 4mo in the fall, everytime I get behind the wheel I:
- feel lucky I'm driving such a damn nice car
- feel lucky it doesn't ever feel like I'm driving a wagon
- give thanks there is an online forum for when my sh*t starts to break!!!

The price sounds pretty good. Not unbelievable. If you buy it, you'll be happy you did and you got it at a good price. If you pass up on it, there will be another wagon down the (proverbial) road waiting for you.

My $.02

(now GO BUY IT!!):thumbup:
:beer:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses. I have seen a couple variants on the road and I'm warming up to this. The concern about short trips is valid, but this was owned by an elderly couple that only used it for a couple months a year when they were not traveling. The option list is short (moonroof, heated seats, etc) and it doesn't have a CD player, but I use my iPod anyway so that's not a deal breaker.

The question in my mind is will I be happy driving a wagon? I believe the answer tonight is what the hell, at this price I can drive it for a year, put my Moda Sports on it, chip it and see how I like it.

I have a ski box for my Pilot. What do I need to do for cross bars to mount the box? What other mods have you variant owners added that you couldn't live without? Chip recommendations (my B5 has a milder Neuspeed chip and it kicks pretty good), longer engine/turbo life is preferred. About to become a 2 Passat family. K&N - of course, what else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you use your iPod, pick up the blitzsafe iPod adapter. None of this fm/cassette tape bullshit!

If/hopefully when I chip my variant, I want to go giac x+. A chip is essentially a chip regarding engine life, it just depends on how you drive it!

There is a lot of stuff I want to do to my passat, but I don't really have any money ('starving artist' hah), and I have about 3 areas that demand my funds: Recording equipment, furniture, and car. Of those work/luxury items, the priority is probably in that order until I get some real funds rolling in.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Go for it! Variants are great!

My 2000 1.8T Variant has about 170,700 miles on it, about 100,000 of them chipped (APR).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts