Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, this easy process of taking out my temp sensor has turned into more then I thought. Since the V6 sensors are really crammed in deep and in a hard to navigate area I can't get the sensor out. I have very small hands so I thought I would be able to get to it easier then most of the guys, afraid not. So, my question is, I have taken the harness off and I can put my pointer finger and my thumb around it, but I can't pull it out........I believe the o-ring is on there really good. Do they make a special tool for this? My car is torn apart and I am not going to pay the dealer to fix this for me when I see the sensor.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
There was a clip holding mine - can you see one?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ganseg said:
I was able to take the harness/clip off the top of the sensor. So, now I see the temp sensor, but I can't pull it out. The o-ring is that rubbery material and I believe it is holding if firmly in place.

passaturbonium, what happened to the guys at "Vortex"? I have had the car parked since Saturday. :cry:

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
glxpassat said:
ganseg said:
I was able to take the harness/clip off the top of the sensor. So, now I see the temp sensor, but I can't pull it out. The o-ring is that rubbery material and I believe it is holding if firmly in place.

passaturbonium, what happened to the guys at "Vortex"? I have had the car parked since Saturday. :cry:
He went to the dealer....bought the sensor...and tried installing it in the parking lot......the antifreeze sprayed out everywhere all over his body. He was very very lucky and escaped with minor burns.....but there is many other that werent as lucky.

Always let the car sit for at least a day when messing with coolant. Bettter safe then sorry.

BTW, you know Vortex...they didnot take it easy on this guy either. They busted his chops bad....which I felt bad for....cause we all do stupid shit. Some of us learn the hard way....Ive been there before. But Vortex people are perfect and they never make such a mistakes.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Just some thoughts in case they help...

• Definitely do this only with the engine cold.

Be sure to remove the cap from the coolant reservoir to be sure your have released any pressure in the system.

The clip is separate from the harness - I'm not sure from your earlier post that you removed the retaining clip. It slides in horizontally through some slots located about a half inch below the top of the sensor port.

People who have done this on a V6 have left the harness attached after the clip is removed and gently pulled on it the wires to get the sensor to slide free.

There was a recent thread that gave some more detailed instructions. Here it is... http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76139&highlight=
Good Luck

·
Registered
525 Posts
glxpassat said:
There's a big plastic clip that holds the sensor itself in place. It's not the clip on the wiring harness. It's a good idea to buy a new one (less than a buck) when you get the sensor in case you break the old one when removing it. It clips around the body of the sensor, maybe an inch or two from the top. You should be able to remove it with your fingers or a long screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The correct sensor is on the passenger side of the engine, and it is between the back of the engine and the firewall. It drops vertically downward into a port in the coolant manifold that connects the two cylinder heads. When you remove the sensor, the port will now be open and some quantity of coolant is going to come out! You will have to add fluid (distilled water or fresh coolant) to the reservoir once you get the new sensor installed.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Becca - You have a V6, so I don't know where your sender is. I recommend the following: Drive the car to get it up to temperature. Allow it to cool off for one hour, and then release the pressure in the coolant overflow tank by loosening the cap a bit. You will hear the hot air whoosh out. You can even do this when the car is very hot, but it's safer to wait a little bit.

After releasing the pressure, close the cap tightly and allow the car to cool completely. Remove the clip from the sensor by pulling it to the side. A flat headed screwdriver can be used to loosen it, and a needlenose pliers to slide it fully out sideways. Grab the electrical connector (not the wires) and remove the sensor. You will hear air get sucked into the coolant system. This is not bad, and it will prevent coolant from spilling everywhere.

Unhook the wiring from the old sensor. At this point you can either attach the new sensor or not, up to you. Either way, you have to put the new sender into the little pot and slide the clip in - use the needlenose pliers if it is easier to get to it. Attach the electrical connector if you didn't before and remember to slide its clip into place.

That's it. :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That's a good idea. :thumbup: Releasing the pressure while the car is warm, then replacing the cap on the reservoir and waiting until the car cools completely will create a negative pressure in the cooling system. If you do this then you'll want to leave the reservoir cap in place after the engine cools, when you remove the sensor. This would at least minimize the loss of fluid, if not stop it.

Just be careful to very slowly loosen the cap; the reservoir has an integral vent in the cap lip that will open and release pressure while the threads are still engaged and holding the cap in place.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jaero said:
The correct sensor is on the passenger side of the engine, and it is between the back of the engine and the firewall. It drops vertically downward into a port in the coolant manifold that connects the two cylinder heads. When you remove the sensor, the port will now be open and some quantity of coolant is going to come out! You will have to add fluid (distilled water or fresh coolant) to the reservoir once you get the new sensor installed.
Ah, since I have not been able to pry that off yet then I will not see that as a problem. ;-)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I reread my original post on Vortex. I made some edits. You cannot edit archived material on Vortex, so I am posting the edited version here.

TOOLS:
two flatbladed screwdrivers, one smaller, one larger
5mm allen socket
10mm socket
PARTS:
old sensor part number 078 919 501C - black
new sensor part number 059-919-501A - green $4.74
U shaped plastic clip - 032-121-142 - 0.40 cents
o-ring N 903-168-02 - $1.32

Do this when the engine is cold.

The sensor is located behind the passenger side cylinder head, down a bit. It is not easy to locate. On the 1.8T it is, I have heard, in the same place. Behind the cylinder head.

I first removed the top engine cover and the smaller side cover over the MAF. Then I removed the accordian-like flexible connecting hose leading from the MAF to the intake air elbow, which connects to the intake manifold. I then removed the air elbow.

To remove the air elbow: Working from the drivers side of the car, first remove the electrical connection that is on the top of the elbow by sliding off the spring clip which holds it on. Use the smaller screwdriver to pry it mostly off, then remove using your fingers. These clips are easy to lose! Next use the 5mm allen socket to remove the bright metal screw you will see near the bottom of the air elbow. There is not much room to work so it took me awhile to get this done. After that I took off the 10mm bolt at the top of the elbow. It is quite near a torx screw which I did not remove. With both of these off you can maneuver the elbow around so that you can take off a vacuum hose attached to the lower part of the elbow. You kinda turn, kinda squeeze the connector to remove the vacuum hose. You can now remove the elbow.

Working now from the passenger side I removed another electrical connection which is just above the coolant temp sensor. This connector was blue/grey. I removed this as it is in the same wiring harness as the temp sensor connector. The two are close together. Remove this connection the same as the one on the air elbow.

Now you have relatively easy access to the sensor. It is a bit further down held in place by a black plastic clip. The sensor's electrical connection is black, as is the sensor so it is not easy to locate but you will now have a pretty clear view of it. Using a screwdriver, remove the U shaped black plastic clip which holds the sensor in place. It slides off horizontally. Note the position of the sensor; this is important for putting the electrical connector back on later. Pull out the old sensor. I did not lose any coolant when I did this but I have read that others have. I bought a gallon of the VW coolant just in case. Replace with new sensor, aligning it same as the old one. Slide the U shaped plastic clip in place. At this point the old sensor is still attached to the electrical connection. Using the smaller screwdriver I gently pried up the clip at the top of the electrical connection. Now I could separate the old sensor and the connection. I then put it on the new sensor, it clicked into place.

Work in reverse to replace the removed parts. The manual says to tighten the allen screw to 7ft lbs. I just made it snug. My torque wrench would not fit in the space I had to work with. I cleaned up the air elbow, it was oily inside. When I got to putting the flex hose back on, I sprayed a bit of silicone on the rubber seals on the inside of the hose to make it easier to slip it on. A good seal here is very important.

Took over an hour, maybe 1.5 hrs. I worked real slowly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts