Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IN a few weeks I am going to street night at New England Drag and i am going to be racing my car I am lookina for any advice that you are willing to give aon performance Modifications and driving tips thanks alot guys

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Bring a mist bottle to spray down your intercooler. Lower your front tire pressure to something very low (uh, 10 psi? I've never seriously dragged before). And uh. Try not to miss your shifts. :wink:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
How fast do you want to go? Stock B5s with a 5sp can get low 16s with a good launch. Chipped B5s could run low 15s (or 14s if your name is Blade) depending on which engine code you have. Removing your spare would help, and come to the track with a quarter tank of gas.

Practice launching before you get to the track. A good launch should have just a bit of wheelspin. If you have a tip, try brake torquing.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yep, remove as much as you can from the car beforehand. Obviously it would suck to get a flat on the way to the track without your spare, so I usually bring a box and dump all of my extra "stuff" into it at the track.

Also, are you going to be on a course too, or just dragging? If you are doing a lot of hard braking, after you are off the track, find a flat spot or bring chocks for your wheels and don't use your handbrake. The pads get too hat and can stick to your rotors.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Getting a good launch is one of the most important items with track racing. You can make or break your times. I have friends that can take a car with not too many mods, but they have their launching down to a science and they get excellent times.
Take your front headlight off to get as much air into the engine area.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I'd also think that you'd want to turn off ASR - despite its supposed benefits. ESP may be what would help...

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
stealthx32 said:
Bring a mist bottle to spray down your intercooler. Lower your front tire pressure to something very low (uh, 10 psi? I've never seriously dragged before). And uh. Try not to miss your shifts. :wink:

10 psi is WAYY too low...at that point the your barely sitting on tire, your almost on the rim itself...roughly 20psi should do the trick

obviously don't use your A/C or heat...

drop your rear seats, spare tire...and if you're so inclined...drop the passenger seat...i've never done it before though...

bring a bag of ice and keep it on your intake manifold in between runs...let your engine cool aftrer you get to the track before put it on there...my bag melted last time...

·
Registered
446 Posts
i too melted a bag on my manifold also... :roll: ...try and get a good launch, drop the seats and everything you dont need, as little gas as possible, and maybe some sort of IC cooling spray between runs...should do the trick

what sort of tims are you looking to get?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Dropping the Fold down seat makes a bid differents! Every 100lbs. is roughly a tenth of a sec. I don't know about the pass. seat due to the airbags, that will probably through some airbag sensor off. I've always ran 25 to 28 psi in my tires, to low and the tread will boe in the center, to high and it will arch in the center, if 35 psi is normal, then 25 to 28 is as low as I would go. And obviously.......don't have anybody ride with you, Even if she's hot.....she won't be impressed when you tell her that her weight slowed you down! :mad: .............not that it has ever happend to me....... :lol: oops.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
10 Participants
Passaton18s
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing