Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must be a Friday the 13th gremlin. This evening I went out to open the tail gate for my dog and no-dice. Neither the key remote, the driver-door switch or the key entry in the tailgate itself work. The little "door open" icon on the dash is glowing. Every time I grasp the tailgate latch, it sounds like the door locks again (electro-magnetic closure noise). Anyone out there with any ideas/advice? :???:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Mine froze last week after washing it. I couldn't take the dog to work. Can you find some sun to leave it in for a few hours?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was frost!

Well, I haven't washed the Passat for a month and a half as the temperature has been -10 to -35C (14 to -22) for "forever". On the day in
question the temperature went from -10C to -30C and I guess there was sufficient humidity in the car to be a problem. After parking the car with the tailgate facing the sun for several hours, the tailgate opened. Very small ice crystals were visible on the side and bottom rubber seals.
My wife has remarked that the car seems to have more frost on the inside of the windows than any car we can remember. and this winter, the phenomenon seems to be worse.

It is ironic that people from warmer climes had good advice for an owner in the great White North - I'm eating humble pie!

Thanks for the advice.

Phil
Winnipeg - where winter seems longer and colder, and is...

·
Registered
322 Posts
You may have had a water leak. That may account for the frost on the inside. Check under the carpets, they could be hiding the water. The padding acts like a big sponge, in your case mostly frozen! I had the outside cabin airfilter housing leak. It flowed thru the ducts to the passenger side footwell in the rear (a known problem, quick fix by the dealer).
BTW it's been 0F here on the dash display more than once this year! It was 45F yesterday but by morning it shoud be around 10F. One of those cold fronts from the Great White North..... When is it going to end!!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Re: It was frost!

frettin_phil said:
...Very small ice crystals were visible on the side and bottom rubber seals...
I've had the hatch on our 2000 freeze shut a bunch of times because of the rubber - it only takes a little bit of freezing along the rubber to make it impossible to open (there is lots of surface area to hold the hatch shut!). It seems worse here in Calgary where we get such wide temperature swings.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Phil,

Shame on you, a month and a half with no wash??? :poke: when you have a chance and the temps get a little better try some silicon grease,(spray or tube) on your rubber door seals, this should help with the freezing up of your hatch. Petra you might want to try this as well, seems to work for me.

P.S. Phil I'll PM you with a time and date for a GTG with Inukshuk and I.

Cheers Frank :) :drink: I,m :puke: of this cold weather.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tailgate freezin'

Imagine getting dis'ed by a fellow Toban about washing my Passat! Well, I took the wagon into StJVW for its 32k check and they washed it - after they replaced the pollen filter. We will see if this cures the inside-the-window-frost problem.
They gave me an '03 GLX 4Mo loaner which can sure accelerate quickly from most intersections. I guess it's a new form of drag racing. All you need is winter, icy or snowy intersections and one or more 4wd or awds and watch the fun. :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey Phil just a freindly 'toban jibe. SilverB that stuff looks to be the way to go, I'll have to order some, I especially like the idea of the applicator.

Cheers Frank :) :drink:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, my Passat was clean!!!

NOT (no offence taken) Denoudf. Murphy's law works perfectly. Wash your car in the summer - next day it rains. Wash your car in the winter - next day it warms up and you go through two tanks of washer fluid.
Keepin' my fingers crossed as the windows have not yet fogged up nor has the tailgate refrozen. Thanks for the tips about aftermarket products.
Phil
'03 Variant 5sp, leather, sr - gotta love it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts