Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

T5 Tranny Gut's exposed (pics)...

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  IDriveB5 
#1 ·
Well, I just had to open this up and find out IF the gears were in good shape or not. To my surprise, they look just fine. I have no way of really knowing if the synchro's are still good but from driving around in the Mustang prior to this and not having any problems shifting nor going out of gear, I suspect it's just fine as well. Keep in mind, it has over 103,000 miles.

Trying to determine if I should go ahead and just rebuild it with a rebuild kit.

See less See more
#2 ·
Herman, that looks brand new! Are you sure it wasn't rebuilt recently? There is so little wear on the gears. As far as a rebuild, I would check the seals, the endplay, and the interplay on the gears before I spent any $$ on a rebuild kit. If it's in spec, don't bother. :thumbup: Excellent luck!

#3 ·
man i havent see a tranny in that shape in so long!

#5 ·
This is what get's me. I DO know the clutch on this car was not stock; it may of been either a "King Cobra" clutch, used in a lot of the Cobra R cars today, or next step down, which is the HD clutch. The friction plate was the same PN as the King Cobra's and HD but could not read the numbers on the pressure plate. But given the fact it was replaced "may" mean the gear box was looked at afterwards and/or rebuilt.

I took a screwdriver to the magnet at the bottom and scraped off a layer of 'gunk' and it seems to be a powdery consistency. No real large chunks to speak of. I would of expected a much thicker layer with a lot more stuff but this speaks well of the previous owners.

I have a possible theory in all this. Given the motor was stock but was given at least some "mild" modifications such as cone filter, BBK headers, and aluminum pulleys, possibly reprogramming of the ECU, tell-tale RPM gague w/shift light and possibly larger thottlebody, it may of been raced but not very much. Regradless, the most HP this thing could of mustered would be 250HP flywheel. The tranny is rated for 330hp out of the box.

Whatever the case, I feel the tranny is in decent enough shape that I'll just button it up. It may not take the expected 400+ HP at the flywheel that's being built, but keep in mind the car will only be approx. 2200-2300lbs.

It would cost nearly $600 just to rebuild everything + the new gear set but now I think I'll just use it till it breaks, then buy a brand new Tremec 3550 TKO which will handle 400-450 HP. So the next move here is to clean it up and paint it.

#7 ·
If the tips and points of the syncros are in good condition, they should be good to go. If they're chewed up or worn down, then they're a potential problem. Can't tell for sure from the pics, but it looks like they're still pointed and in good shape with what appears to be minimal wear at worst - but it's only pics. I roger AA's comments - it looks awfully clean for 103Kmi, both inside & out.

#10 ·
I took a 2nd/3rd/4th look, shifting the synchro's back and forth to expose all of them; can't say for the lower gearset/synchro's but if the uppers are any indication, this thing must of been rebuilt before. These don't look very worn at all!

I reassembled the fork assembly and ready to put the 2 halves together but the O-ring is a little chewed up (near the shifter rod) so I'm getting a new unit.

The video goes over how to measure out the endplay so I'll be reviewing this and get the measurement of what I need (shims).

#11 ·
Is that an input shaft on your bench or are you just happy to see me?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.