Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are they?? i've been having some clunking and think it may be the front suspenion links. At work the I35's were notorious for these and it seems like a similar clunk.... TIA

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
easiest way to check them is to grab them and shake.they will have excessive movements if the rubber bushings are dead. othervise can be something else as well

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
At highway speeds, does the car float at all?

I know with my car, when I turn a corner or come out of my driveway, the syspension clunks, and will pull a certian direction on its own. Its something that needs to be done very soon since its getting so bad. I try not to go on the interstates as much as possible now because they "float" on ridged road surfaces. Its even worse now that my area of the interstate is going through alot of construction in multiple areas.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it can get a little floaty on the highway but i thought thats just how the car was. It doesn't float excessively (i've driven floatier American cars) tho i will say the a high speed corner u can kinda feel the car float up and down a little sometimes. Also i have been getting a clunk from the front sometimes also when pulling into a driveway particularly when they have a high curb as u pull in. Also it happens under hard braking i get the same clunk. Also last night as i was passing through a yellow light of an intersection at a bit higher than usual speed and it dipped on the other side i fully extended my suspension (just to the point of not smashing the car off the ground) and when the car came down it clunked.

So should i shake my wheels are see if they have play to make sure this is the prob??? at first i was afriad it would be control arms but it doens't seem like the right diagnosis. Is there a way to visually tell if the sway bar links are toast???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Clunking in my A4 turned out to be sway bar bushings. Two Audi dealers :mad: misdiganosed as links. About $110 for both left and right side bushing, plus labor - not at Audi dealer!

This noise was obvious at low speed, windows open.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts