Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 Passat has high 165K mileage on it…I have been using Castrol Synthetic 10-30W engine oil since past 4-5 years, though 5-30w is recommended for this model as per AutoZone. I do not know what the earlier owner was using.

Now my New mechanic says that I should use 10-40W natural [no synth] oil for it ,as the synth oil gets burnt fast, and could cause engine damage.

What is your take on it, please suggest…

·
Registered
598 Posts
There are tons of threads on this. It would be better to know if you have a 1.8t or 2.8 v6.

If you have the 1.8 turbo you should be using 5-w30 full synthetic oil. helps prevent engine sludge

·
Registered
207 Posts
What engine does your passat have? if its the v6, i dont think there would be a major problem with running conventional oil (IMO, i would still use synthetic) If its the 1.8t, DO NOT USE CONVENTIONAL OIL!! it will get boiled by the turbo and kill your engine.
As for what your mechanic said, its the exact opposite, conventional oil will boil at a much lower temperature than synthetic, causing it to become the sludge that we all know and love, clogging all sorts of things in the oil delivery system

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
its 1.8 Turbo engine, automatic with high mileage[ 165K] on it...The mechanic told me the synthetic oil burns soon and causes damages and he recommends 10-40w Natural oil for this car...I am clueless about what oil should I put in this car now...I have to go to the mechanic on Monday to get the oil changed...after reading here, I am going to buy 5.1 Qt Castrol Synthetic Oil, but please help me select between 5-w30 or 10-w30 Synthetic from AdvanceAuto...

I used Seafoam lately[ a weak back] hoping that it would clean up the engine/sludge in the winter...Also, I always get oil filters replaced with every oil change. The AdvanceAuto guy gave me Purolator Classic Oil Filter[$3.99] while getting the Oil this time. What kind/brand of Oil Filter you would guys suggest?

Another question, What was does local climate have to do with Oil? is it possible to have difficulties starting of the car if the engine oil is old/thick/not-Replaced for a while, even after 6 months???

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
its 1.8 Turbo engine, automatic with high mileage[ 165K] on it...The mechanic told me the synthetic oil burns soon and causes damages and he recommends 10-40w Natural oil for this car...I am clueless about what oil should I put in this car now...I have to go on Monday to get the oil changed...after reading here, I am going to buy Castrol Synthetic oil but please help me select between 5-w30 or 10-w30 Synthetic...
First, start shopping for a new mechanic - his advice is 100% wrong. If you read the link ColoradoRed offered, you'll see you should ideally be using 5w40 synthetic. 5w30 is listed in the manual as "acceptable if 5w40 isn't available", and oils with a 10w starting weight aren't on the list at all. Make sure the oil is VW 502.00 rated, like Castrol Syntec, Valvoline SynPower, or Mobil 1 (0w40).

When you select the oil filter, make sure you use the "large" one - some auto parts places' cross reference still show the old, smaller filter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, Castrol Syntec 5w-40 is going to be my choice now. The mechanic who used to change the oil has closed his shop. This is a new mechanic for me, changing him will take a while. Actually I changed the Syntec oil 3 months back but somehow there was not much left in when we checked this Friday. Thats the reason I guess he suggested the natural 10w-40 oil.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
I changed the Syntec oil 3 months back but somehow there was not much left in when we checked this Friday.
Start checking your oil level at more frequent intervals. If you're leaking it or burning it, you don't want to allow it to get too low. That can cause a whole other problem (oil starvation damage) you don't want.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Actually I changed the Syntec oil 3 months back but somehow there was not much left in when we checked this Friday.
You should never allow your oil level to go below the add mark on the dipstick. Even when it's on the full mark you have less than 4 quarts in the sump. The only practical way to add capacity is to over fill or use a much larger filter such as the Wix 51333 (Napa Gold 1333) or Purolator L40316.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I think we need to make a flow chart for the new b5/b5.5 owners.

Do you own a 4-cyl? Use 5w-40 synthetic recommended by vw, the large oil filter and premium fuel.

Do you own a v6? Dino-oil is sufficient as well as regular fuel, you will probably have no heat problems at some point

Do you own a b5/b5.5? Your pcv system sucks (or should I say doesn't?:D) and you will need to replace or modify it.
-Your flex pipes are fraying and about to rip open,
-Use g12 coolant only,
-Your control arms and engine mounts are probably shot,
-Have you ever replaced your t-belt?
-Your coolant temp sensor?

I think you see where I am taking this, this list can go on :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its 4-cylinder.
i dont know about b5? but its automatic 1999 Turbo 1.8L
Where is the PCV valve located??
Coolant - no idea what has been used.
Timing belt has not been replaced , too.
coolant temp sensor?

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,322 Posts
I think we need to make a flow chart for the new b5/b5.5 owners.

Do you own a 4-cyl? Use 5w-40 synthetic recommended by vw, the large oil filter and premium fuel.

Do you own a v6? Dino-oil is sufficient as well as regular fuel, you will probably have no heat problems at some point

Do you own a b5/b5.5? Your pcv system sucks (or should I say doesn't?:D) and you will need to replace or modify it.
-Your flex pipes are fraying and about to rip open,
-Use g12 coolant only,
-Your control arms and engine mounts are probably shot,
-Have you ever replaced your t-belt?
-Your coolant temp sensor?

I think you see where I am taking this, this list can go on :p
x2. The same questions day after day, including these oil and fuel discussions. Man is it getting frustrating..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.