Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Passat 1.8t w/ almost 80K on it. I've never use synthetic oil and I'm wondering if any of you have tried it and have any recommendations?

What are the +/-

Thanks

·
Registered
858 Posts
There are many debates on oil around here. I think many people run synthetic, I certainly do. Full synthetics (Mobile1, Castrol Syntech etc) do not break down as fast as dino oil, thus providing better lubrication over the life of the oil. Heat and particulates cause oil to break down, and the 1.8 certainly produces a large amount of heat (oil is circulated near the turbo for lubrication, and that thing gets HOT!).

I run Mobile1 0w-40 (get it at WalMart - the evil empire). There are people who are much more educated on oils around here, one of whom is Atomicalex.

Please bear in mind that this is one person's opinon, though I sure that others will chime in.

Welcome to the group by the way!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ok - so the one oil I should ALWAYS run on a V6 4motion (currently running 5w-30 Mobile 1) isssssssss ...

(fill in the blank atomicalex!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good stuff

Thanks, folks. I've been contemplating it for quite some time now and now that the car is getting older it needs all the help it can get.

I tried looking at articles that reviewed the pros/cons, but I've not been able to find much. Since you guys are running pretty much the same car I have, there's no better source in my book.

Hey, thanks again.

·
Registered
519 Posts
jackman_fam said:
I have a 2000 Passat 1.8t w/ almost 80K on it. I've never use synthetic oil and I'm wondering if any of you have tried it and have any recommendations?

What are the +/-

Thanks

Try Pentosynth 5W-40 at www.autobahnfluids.com

:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts