Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that it was a good idea to put in synthetic blend before going to full synthetic oil by a friend of mine who has a passat. Righ now I'm using regular oil for my V6 but I am due for an oil change so I decided to go synthetic because everyone else I talked to said its a good idea and worth it. So I guess my question is do I need to use synthetic blend the first few oil changes and then go to regular synthetic? Or just go right to regular synthetic?

·
Registered
831 Posts
i have no personal experience w/ this product, but i think a lot of people will recommend you Auto-Rx your car to remove sludge that has built up, search the forums and net, you should find a lot of info on it, and someone else will chime in i'm sure

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Go straight to VW spec. 502.00 oil which is the recomended oil. I believe all the oils that meet 502.00 are synthetic. Auto-Rx won't hurt but probably no need to do it on the V6.

·
Banned
401 Posts
a lot of people like the synthetic oil. Its better too then just regular oil. When I first used synthetic I just went right with it I did put any synthetic blend. you can do that but I dont think it will cause any problems to just put full synthetic:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I believe with switching to synth there is a possibility of having your gaskets leak. I'm not sure why this happens but I think it’s because mineral based oil tends to swell gaskets. I'm not sure if switching to a blend help this problem.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Yeah maybe at worst the two oils is bob together and sludge...but I have yet to see it and the V6 is really good at getting all the oil out. You would be fine to run syn in it.
how r the two oils going to mix. The difference between synthetic and regular oil is that its higher protective abilities and longer wear; most experts say it’s more about the former than the latter. Synthetic’s specialties are to withstand extreme driving and extreme temperatures since its chemical construction is less prone to solidifying in winter and has a higher boiling point in heat (400 degrees instead of 300,=). As a side benefit, some have found that synthetic oil lowers octane requirements, possibly because its lower rate of carbon deposits prevents pre-ignition from happening. One extensive test by Amsoil supposedly revealed that cars that run for 60,000 miles on the same batch of synthetic oil end up with less engine wear than cars that run 60,000 miles with regular oil changed every 3,000 miles.:poke:

8,184 Posts
how r the two oils going to mix. The difference between synthetic and regular oil is that its higher protective abilities and longer wear; most experts say it’s more about the former than the latter. Synthetic’s specialties are to withstand extreme driving and extreme temperatures since its chemical construction is less prone to solidifying in winter and has a higher boiling point in heat (400 degrees instead of 300,=). As a side benefit, some have found that synthetic oil lowers octane requirements, possibly because its lower rate of carbon deposits prevents pre-ignition from happening. One extensive test by Amsoil supposedly revealed that cars that run for 60,000 miles on the same batch of synthetic oil end up with less engine wear than cars that run 60,000 miles with regular oil changed every 3,000 miles.:poke:
You just trashed me and your dead wrong..lol. They sludge because of the diff oil bases that are in each oil....so if you use syn from mobil 1 and then use the same weight in Pensoil then the two can mix and become sludge...just like coolant. you can add two diff coolant mixes together without them mixing badly. So before you start trashing me...Go call napa and ask them and see what they say...go to bob oils fourm and post it...and see what they say. Thats why you are always to use the same brand and oil weight and never change it...but you just told me I don't know anything. Another thing Amsiol oil is no reg oil by any means and shouldn't even be in this topic for I have used mobil 1 syn in my car the whole time I have own it....I have always had a noise from the timing and values. I just put 5W-40 amsiol in...nothing its quiet as hell and take twice as long to warm her up to the normal temp.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I doubt there would be any trouble.
There's going to be no issue with the small amount of dino in there after a full drain with syn.
If you can find it locally, I really like Pentosynth 5w-40.
Otherwise, "Made in Germany" (look for it on the label) Castrol Syntec 5w-30 at autozone.
If that fails, Mobil 1 0w-40.
I don't thing there's any point in mail ordering exotic oils for the V6, unless of course, its cheaper.
There might be a slight increase in oil use. Maybe. Not enough to worry about though. The horror stories of big leaks come from poorly formulated syn from a long time ago.

8,184 Posts
I believe with switching to synth there is a possibility of having your gaskets leak. I'm not sure why this happens but I think it’s because mineral based oil tends to swell gaskets. I'm not sure if switching to a blend help this problem.
Thats a myth and not a real statment. Syn oil is thinner and well if your gaskets start leaking because of the oil then the leak as always been there and ether the dyno or build up was blocking the leak the whole time. Also its never to late to run syn in any car:thumbup:

8,184 Posts
I doubt there would be any trouble.
There's going to be no issue with the small amount of dino in there with syn.
If you can find it locally, I really like Pentosynth 5w-40.
Otherwise, "Made in Germany" (look for it on the label) Castrol Syntec 5w-30 at autozone.
If that fails, Mobil 1 0w-40.
I don't thing there's any point in mail ordering exotic oils for the V6, unless of course, its cheaper.
Well beside the Germany stuff and amsiol oils...all other oil has some % of dyno in it.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Its not like u fill the engine with one oil and then just keep adding the other oil type. When u change the oil almost all of it is out just whats left on the small layer in the surface. Which one is better for the passat 5W-30 or 5W-40. I put Castrol 5W-30 synthetic

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Well beside the Germany stuff and amsiol oils...all other oil has some % of dyno in it.
Mobile 1 is still a group IV
I believe the Grp III rumor was just that and based on some immedately post-Katrina oil that may not have been up to snuff.

8,184 Posts
Its not like u fill the engine with one oil and then just keep adding the other oil type. When u change the oil almost all of it is out just whats left on the small layer in the surface. Which one is better for the passat 5W-30 or 5W-40. I put Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic
Well if hes running dyno in it then it would almost be a drff brand of oil...that was my point but having that small amount in the crankcase wouldn't cause any problems (which is why I said no problem). As for your oil...if you are a 1.8T then amsiol 5W-30 syn is a great weight to run...but what I find really odd is the 05 1.8T calls for a 5W-40 syn...wow I think that is to high for a tubro car...the whole reason of putting syn in was to thin the oil out and handle the heat after the cars off? But thats VW. I have a V6 and run 5W-40 sym euro weight syn. But what you are running is great for a turbo...but V6 I would put any (5 or 10) 40 in it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Thats a myth and not a real statment. Syn oil is thinner and well if your gaskets start leaking because of the oil then the leak as always been there and ether the dyno or build up was blocking the leak the whole time. Also its never to late to run syn in any car:thumbup:
thats what I meant to say, it was thinner not that it swelled the gasket.

8,184 Posts
Mobile 1 is still a group IV
I believe the Grp III rumor was just that and based on some immedately post-Katrina oil that may not have been up to snuff.
It is still but have read a few posts that they are changing it soon, but tell you the truth I just started using amsiol oil and wow I was really shocked at how it holds up, and how long it takes for my V6 to warm up. I used mobil 1 for awhile and pushed it hard...but my Napa sell amsiol for 5.75 a Qt...crap thats cheaper then mobil one. Thats my point and why I switched

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
:lol:
You're dead on...sorry I assumed...most people really think that to be true
It sort of was true. Early syn did shrink rubber parts on older cars trhat had run dyno.
It was a formulation problem that was quickly fixed

·
Registered
92 Posts
FWIW, I recently switched from Valvoline 5w40 to Mobil1 0w40, and my V6 is using much less oil with the Mobil so far. Mobil1 is a lot easier to find where I live.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts