Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a picture of what their Silverstars look like lit up at night? I just received a pair of them today from a guy on Ebay and they don't look very "white" to me. They have that yellow light like OEM bulbs. Did I get ripped off. Are they supposed to be "white"? I had a set of Street Glow Super White bulbs (i know they are ricey) and they look really white, and they are the same wattage as stock. I got the Silverstars since a lot of people here swear by them and because of their superior quality.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have the silverstars and they are whiter than stock as far as appearance. They put out much more light imo than the stocks. I will admit I thought the bulbs would be whiter too.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
SilverStars are not very WHITE (in the traditional sense) they are a yellow that's extremely pale and almost white. There is absolutely no blueish tint that makes those other lamps appear really white.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Check out my pics in this thread. Stock bulbs compared to the Silverstars.

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64391&start=30

I bought them from AutoZone, so they're the US version. I understand the Euro version you can buy online has a higher lumen output, and a slightly more "yellow" color.

The bulbs I bought did have a "silvery-blue" color to the glass (not just clear blue). If your bulbs are just plain blue or white glass, you've probably been ripped off.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I dont know mine are bright white if you ask me! Stock was yellow color like the city lights that I must find a replacement for them in a White color.

·
0 Posts
the are very near white, i feel they cast much farther that the stock lights, i give them the thumbs up!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ween2004 said:
Does anyone have a picture of what their Silverstars look like lit up at night? I just received a pair of them today from a guy on Ebay and they don't look very "white" to me. They have that yellow light like OEM bulbs. Did I get ripped off. Are they supposed to be "white"? I had a set of Street Glow Super White bulbs (i know they are ricey) and they look really white, and they are the same wattage as stock. I got the Silverstars since a lot of people here swear by them and because of their superior quality.
I bought mine new from my local autoparts store and noticed right away they were much whiter and brighter than the stock bulbs and cast further down the road.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Buy XD5 5800K they are not blue but really white HID color .

they usualy go for 30.00 pair and they make The Silverstar look like yellow corner lights .

Trust me i had Coolblue , Sivania Sylvestar and nothing compares to XD5 and does not look ricey at all.

I can post pictures tomorrow if you want me to.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your replies and helping me with my dilema. I looked at the packaging and they are indeed the Euro ones Osram/Sylvania, made in Germany. So I guess I wasn't ripped off, just deceived a bit. I should have just ordered them at Auto Zone. Oh well, you live and learn.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
your 5800K XD5 bulbs

Tabamoura said:

they usualy go for 30.00 pair and they make The Silverstar look like yellow corner lights .

Trust me i had Coolblue , Sivania Sylvestar and nothing compares to XD5 and does not look ricey at all.

do those bulbs require upgraded wires or can i use the stock ones ? or better yet ...did you upgrade your wires or no?
those bulbs say 5800k
thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Tabamoura wrote:

do those bulbs require upgraded wires or can i use the stock ones ? or better yet ...did you upgrade your wires or no?
those bulbs say 5800k
thanks

I did not upgrade the wires , there are two types of H7 bulbs a 50W and 100 W

I tried the 50W first , the color was nice but not to bright .
So i decided to try the 100W the wires are not even getting warm, the bulbs are filled with a mixing of gases ( Krypton include to lower the temperature of the bulb)
The bulb glass is quartz glass
I installed them a week ago and so far so good im really happy with them.

the package says: XD5 super white 5800K

This is the link for the store in Georgia i bought the bulbs from
http://www.globalpremier.com

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
how much different is the light output of the Sylvania Silverstars compared to the Osram Silverstars (Euro Spec). I noticed the bulb has a tinge of blue on it.

Currently have Philips Vision Plus but have used the Osrams too.

·
0 Posts
the light is really white, the blue you see in the photos is cast off the fog lights,
changing lights takes like 10 minutes and yes i changed all my bulbs to silverstars.

i dont thing there is much diff between the osram euro and sylvaninas :thumbup:

·
Registered
859 Posts
I just put Silverstar fogs in last night. There is a huge difference! The headlight light now looks "dirty yellow" compared to the fogs. It's almost distracting to the eye, because there is a clear seperation on the road ahead (ok, it was in the snow) where the headlights stop and the fogs start. Eerie actually. But I love them. I just may have to pick up a set of H7's for the main beams now.

And when my wife sees them, I will be investing in some for her car as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Gator VW said:
About Silverstars, Did you change your high beams and your low beams? How easy (or hard) of an install is this?
Not sure about the 1.8T, but on my V6 the driver's side is literally a 2-minute job but the passenger side is a little more involved because you have to take the intake apart to get at the back of the light housing.

·
Registered
531 Posts
So what are the best bulbs for driving in rainy Seattle??? I have heard that the more yellow bulbs are better on the eyes in rain/wet roads.

I do love the look of the brillliant white lights, but I want to see too :)

Bob

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would not recommend the Osram/Sylvania bulbs. I was disappointed when I first tested them. I knew right away that there was little to no difference from the stock H7's. Just to prove a point, I installed one of my stock bulbs to see the difference. They look the pretty much the same. If I had a digital camera I would take a picture.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
18 Participants
1.8Tabamoura
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing