Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2000 GLX, I want to move my radio from the top position and switch it to the middle where the empty pocket is. I have the removal keys already. Is there any latches or catches that would make this harder to do than just switching their positions? I know the radio has things on the side to make it hard to steal and I wondered if those would not be there if moved?
Also, are the catches for removing the empty pocket on the sides or top? Is there a trick for removing it?

·
Registered
649 Posts
You should be able to do it no problem

Put the keys in the slots all the way, pull the deck out by the tape deck and the pocket should pop out with it. I know the pocket clips into the back of the middle slot and I am not sure if there is a clip on the top spot but the radio will hold it in place. Give it a go and see if it works... I dont see why it wouldnt, all the wires should reach no problem, I am just curous to see if the deck clips in properly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Make sure the wiring harness is out of the way. I swapped mine in my 00 sedan when I added the in-dash cd player.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The VW pocket has these 2 lips on the top corner of the pocket that slide into groves on the middle slot. Those slots are not on the top slot. I was going to put it in upside down but the front has a slight angle on it and a lip keeping it from going in all the way. I guess I'll need to cut it or find something generic and cheap. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
I would cut the tabs off of the pocket.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've got a generic single din pocket laying around. Better than hacking up a perfectly good OEM pocket. Personally I'd get the OEM top pocket from Enfig

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was finally able to place it in upside. I had to carefully trim some of the plastic on the top and bottom. It came out nice. Thanks for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts