Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey B5 Brothers, I just bought a climatronicunit for my B5 that currently has a manual AC system. The dealer says that it will physically fit but i am not sure on how it will go about with the connections. Anyone know any more connection parts that i ll have to buy ? maybe connection part numbers ? How hard will it be to install it ? Has anyone done this before ? Any help or feedback or recommendation will be appreciated.
HELP :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
There are electric motors under the dash required too.. Possible but not cheap or easy..

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Probably best to get full dash and switch it all over. You would need the whole wiring harness, servos and probably ducts too.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Besides the climatronic control unit you will need the complete internal climatronic wiring harness, the climatronic HVAC box with the servo motors that control the air flow and the many temperature sensors, sunlight sensor, different blower, different relays on relay panel, different cooling fan control circuitry in the engine bay, different wiring for the pressure and temperature switches in the engine bay and probably a lot more. You need to check the electrical and physical schematics of each and you will see they are quite different systems. IMHO, if you want climatronic, sell your car and buy one with climatronic.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I would leave in manual HVAC controls, I'd switch to manual in a heartbeat. I don't need anything try to predict what temperature I like. Climatronic is one of the most annoying things ever...

·
Registered
675 Posts
I would leave in manual HVAC controls, I'd switch to manual in a heartbeat. I don't need anything try to predict what temperature I like. Climatronic is one of the most annoying things ever...
Amen to that, brother.

Chris
02 GLX

·
Registered
828 Posts
Our Audi has automatic climate control (FWIW, 21 years and no failures, although is is now slow to get out of Defrost mode). I just set it and let it do its thing.

When the car was in the shop the other day to replace an ebrake cable, I had occasion to drive a Honda. It had the standard controls. I'd driven 5 miles and the car was still freezing. You know what, in addition to temp and where you want air, you actually have to turn on the fan after the engine warms up!

I used to think keyless entry was for weenies, too :D

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
The real joy of manual controls is that you don't need to look at them to know what the settings are.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts