Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to replace the battery in the car because it lost a cell and only had 10volts.
Installed new battery in the car and the remote lock and unlock function no longer works from the switchblade key.
Went through the programing steps in the owners manual and can not get the remote to connect with the car and function to lock and unlock the vehicle.
Swithchblade key in the ignition switch turned to the on position, reached outside and locked the doors with the valet key in the drivers door key hole and then pushed the button on the remote, waited and pushed button again, turned ignition to off position and the remote did not connect to the vehicle and lock and unlock the doors. Tried this a number of times and still no luck. I got the vehicle used, came with 1 remote and 1 valet key.

I replaced the battery in the remote about 3 months ago and even installed another new battery in the remote. Still no luck connecting to the car and functioning. Both batteries for the remote were showing just over 3-volts when checked with my Fluke volt meter. The remote had range of less than 10 feet to lock or unlock the vehicle, was like that when I bought the car 9 months ago.

Your help and input would be greatly appreciated. Do I need a new remote ? Do I need to go to the dealership to get the car and remote programmed/connected to each other ?

2002 Passat GLX Wagon 5-speed manual

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Should be no need to go to dealer. If you have VCDS you can try this: Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Remote Control Matching Info

Is the MIL (check engine light) on? I think some procedures are disabled when the MIL is on so that might be preventing the match. Otherwise, the only difference I can see from the normal procedure is that you might need to be outside the car. Can't hurt to try it that way.

"Ok anyway, after you get the key cut...put any master key you have in the ignition and turn it forward to the point just before you start it. Shut the door and lock it with your new key (by this I mean you have to get out of the car) after the door is locked, press either the lock or unluck button on the remote...wait 2 seconds and press the same button again, and the car should lock. Take the key out of the door and it should work.

You've got like 15 seconds to complete that whole process just to warn you in case it doesn't work the first time, you might not be doing it quick enough. " http://www.passatworld.com/forums/v...programming-passat-remote-key.html#post784804

or better yet....try this method from TomVW who usually knows his stuff ;)

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/v...e-battery-remote-not-working.html#post4267738

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remote still will not work.
No MIL (check engine light)
This is the remote that was working with the vehicle before the vehicle battery lost a cell and dropped to 10volts. Replaced vehicle battery and remote no longer functions to lock or unlock vehicle.
Followed owners manual instructions using the remote key in the ignition switch. Also tried using the Valet key in the ignition switch and still the remote does not function to lock or unlock the vehicle.
The red light on the remote lights every time you push any of the 3 buttons (lock, unlock or the rear hatch).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still no luck getting the remote to sync with the car. Tried a both ways listed in note from Iowegian and no luck. Is there anyway to verify that the remote is actually transmitting a signal to the car? Could the remote be bad even though the red indicator light comes on each time I press the lock or unlock buttons.
NO I do not have access to VAG-COM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts