Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The metal loop on my 2-month-old switchblade key just snapped off. Has this happened to anyone else? Was I doing something wrong by attaching the key to my keyring with this loop -- it seemed like that's what it was there for. Is it possible to replace the loop or do I need a whole new remote unit? (I know they cost a fortune). Finally, is there any chance I can claim this as a warranty item?

fwiw: 2003 gls variant 1.8t, fresco/black, 5-spd, stock + mudflaps, sunglass holder, carbox cargo liner, thule rack, ez-pass

·
Registered
554 Posts
Is the metal loop broken? If not, take a screwdriver and separate the black things that hold the metal loop in and slide in the metal loop then push the black things back together, can become annoying if you can't get the slide in. This has happened to me twice. C ya. :D

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
I would try for warranty. My switchblade (old and delicate style one) has inhabited my keyring for 3 years. The one for die neue is considerably more sturdy - I have no idea how it would break aside from persistant abuse that would be obvious to another person. This does not sound like the case in you situation.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
99Vdub said:
Is the metal loop broken? :D
Yes, the metal loop is sheared off flush with the keyfob. It actually looks kind of flimsy -- the thick metal you see slims down to a much smaller diameter where it connects to the keyfob.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
99Vdub said:
Is the metal loop broken? If not, take a screwdriver and separate the black things that hold the metal loop in and slide in the metal loop then push the black things back together, can become annoying if you can't get the slide in. This has happened to me twice. C ya. :D
The metal loop on newer units is different. If its broke, its broke.

invariant: How many keys did you have on this ring? I think you should get it replaced under warranty unless you abused it. My understanding that too many keys can also wear the ignition switch.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A solution

The exact same thing happened to me about a month ago. Mine was just over a year old. I think the problem was that I had it directly on a large keyring (about 1") and when in a pocket with about 5 other keys, it tended to "twist" the metal loop and "bind". Eventually it broke. To see what I mean, just put some twisting pressure on the large key ring and you can see it has quite a bit of torque on the swithblade keyfob.

Fix it?:
It can't be fixed because it was molded into one of the black plastic halves.

MY FIX:
For about $20 I bought a replacement on eBay, and swapped out the that black piece for mine. This way I also have a functional transmitter replacement if this one ever goes bad. Still sucks, but better than buying a new one!

Prevention Suggestion:
I put a small ring directly attached to the switchblade keylet, THEN I attach the large keyring. This compound ring setup gives it some "wiggle room" so it hopefully won't happen again. It seems to keep it from binding.

Good luck.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: A solution

mmmmark said:
The exact same thing happened to me about a month ago. Mine was just over a year old. I think the problem was that I had it directly on a large keyring (about 1")
Bingo -- mine was attached to a 1" ring as well. Did you try the warranty route at all? If that doesn't fly I guess I'll follow your eBay suggestion. Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I didn't even try the warranty route since mine was a little over a year old. Somewhere I seem to remember reading that the remote is not covered by the warranty???

With as new as yours is, it sure wouldn't hurt to try though! Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Final update. Spoke to dealership about warranty coverage -- got a very vague response that "normally" the key is not covered under the vehicle warranty but I could make an appt to come in and speak with the service manager in person; he would not discuss warranty issues over the phone or give me any indication if it was worth my time to come in. I decided it was not worth 2-3 hrs of my time to leave work in the middle of the day to possibly (probably?) come away with nothing, so I went the eBay route. Someone was selling just the remote half of the fob and I picked it up for $15. It came in the mail yesterday and I disassembled both fobs and swapped the part with the broken loop (the piece that holds the battery) from my fob with the same part from the eBay fob. In addition to fixing my key, I also have an extra remote to keep in the house in case my wife locks her keys in the car again like she did 2 weeks ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts