Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More specifically, in the area below the windscreen where the battery and brake reservoir sit on my 2000 V6. The car has sat for a couple of days waiting for the rain to stop so I can fix a low tire, and I just popped the hood and saw a good pool of water back in there. I fished around feeling for a plugged drain or something, but couldn't find anything by feel. What do I need to do (short of a siphon) to get this water out? TIA!

·
Registered
352 Posts
if you take out the battery, (if my memory serves me right) you should see the whole where the water is supposed to drain through. you will need to remove the battery in order to stick something throough the drain hole, and to clean it thouroughly.

it could just be a leaf stoping the flow....

hope that helps...

Alfredo

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Guys,
I'd like to add a neat solution, once all of the gunk in the bottom has been removed (I had the same problem and I know there's gunk in there) you can add some nylon screening over the entire 'Battery bay' area. I used zip ties near the windshield and around the hinges to hold it place. I then ran the screen under the rubber gasket that runs across the front area ( you have to roll it forward to get it off). this is the budget version of the battery bay cover that is standard on the B5.5.

DrewB5

·
Registered
625 Posts
my vw tech said push the rubber bungs(in the drain holes)through so it doesn't happen again.they just dropped on the garage floor when i did mine..
i found a wire poked down saved my fingers.you have to remove the battery for one,but the other can be located with fingers then pushed through with wire.awkward arse spots to do.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Harvey Wallbanger said:
More specifically, in the area below the windscreen where the battery and brake reservoir sit on my 2000 V6. The car has sat for a couple of days waiting for the rain to stop so I can fix a low tire, and I just popped the hood and saw a good pool of water back in there. I fished around feeling for a plugged drain or something, but couldn't find anything by feel. What do I need to do (short of a siphon) to get this water out? TIA!
You need to immediately check to see whether any of your carpeting is wet inside the vehicle. You don't want to fry to the CCM or any other electrical stuff that VW has hidden under the seats. Based on various people's comments, I'd check all four footwells. Good luck - hope you don't find the dreaded soaked carpet.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, i just cleared the blockage (who the hell thought to put the battery back in there? what a bitch to maneuver out!) and everything seems OK. Interesting how the radio went SAFE and then while I'm looking for the code, it clears and starts playing.

Are there other drains that need to be kept clear? Is there a thread to tell about them? Anybody else think it's a good idea to have one?

·
Registered
51 Posts
The radio code should be on a tag under or arround your spare tire otherwise you'll need VAG-COM or go to you local Stealer-Dealer. They shouldn't charge you but....

DrewB5

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
BALTRAM said:
Hi Guys,
I'd like to add a neat solution, once all of the gunk in the bottom has been removed (I had the same problem and I know there's gunk in there) you can add some nylon screening over the entire 'Battery bay' area. I used zip ties near the windshield and around the hinges to hold it place. I then ran the screen under the rubber gasket that runs across the front area ( you have to roll it forward to get it off). this is the budget version of the battery bay cover that is standard on the B5.5.

DrewB5
Or you could just buy the one that fits the B5.5, as it fits the B5 as well. With the second cover for the battery, its about $45 from the dealer.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BALTRAM said:
The radio code should be on a tag under or arround your spare tire otherwise you'll need VAG-COM or go to you local Stealer-Dealer. They shouldn't charge you but....

DrewB5
My remark was pointing out that the radio flashed SAFE briefly, then started to work just fine. I thought after cutting power it was supposed to go into safe mode until I unlocked it with the key code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Followup To "Swimming Pool In My Engine Bay" Problem

My leaf / leaves blockage problem in the 2002 Passat V6 bay where the battery, brake pump, pollen filter, and other systems sit was not discovered until too late. The dealer is charging me $700 to replace the waterlogged vacuum booster and for several hours of labor to clean out the accumulation of leaves blocking the drain hole(s).

The first trouble indication came out of nowhere: the engine MIL light came on one morning after a couple of rainy days in Atlanta, simultaneously with a loss of braking power and engine acceleration power, and heavy smoking out the tail pipe. I could hardly make it to the dealer.

This car easily accumulates leaves in the hidden and inaccessible areas behind the hood hinges, and underneath the shelf covering the battery bay and other neighboring components that sit below the windshield.

My 1999 Passat V6 has no shelf covering this area, making it a little easier -- but not much -- to clean out the leaves. They sneak in below the wiper blade storage area and into the cracks between the hood and the body. It's a very poor design. With the bad news from the dealer about the 2002 model this morning, I just spent a half hour in the dark reaching into tight spaces on my 1999 V6 to get out as many leaves as I could (and found some pine needles and acorns, too!). When daylight comes, I'll try my leaf blower, and maybe remove the battery. (That's another story. A few months back, when I disconnected and replaced my worn-out 1999 battery, I apparently didn't wait enough time for all the electronics to readjust to temporary loss of battery power. I started it right up and somehow fried the electronics in the throttle body, which cost a few hundred dollars to replace.)

Getting back to the inaccessible leaf accumulation problem, the 2002+ Passat V6 design is even worse than the 1999. It has a shelf covering the cover bay where the battery, brake fluid reservoir, and other components sit. Only the tops of these items are visible, and there's no room next to them to insert a vacuum cleaner, hand, or sticky-taped rod to remove the leaves, which in my case obviously got in despite the shelf. I'm nervous to disconnect the battery again to get better access. (The Bentley Publishing CD-ROM service manual is ambiguous on how to prevent such electrical problems after disconnecting the battery.)

WARNING. Keep this "battery bay" area clear of the accumulation of leaves, pine needles, and acorns!

See thread "Drain Hole in Engine Compartment" for more on this problem:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171242

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Bruce404 said:
Getting back to the inaccessible leaf accumulation problem, the 2002+ Passat V6 design is even worse than the 1999. It has a shelf covering the cover bay where the battery, brake fluid reservoir, and other components sit. Only the tops of these items are visible, and there's no room next to them to insert a vacuum cleaner, hand, or sticky-taped rod to remove the leaves, which in my case obviously got in despite the shelf.
You do know that the "shelf" you are referring to is removeable, right?

The rubber gasket at the front of the cowling (the engine side, versus the windshield side) can be pulled off and the cowling can be lifted right out. Start at one hinge corner and grasp the rubber gasket and pull it off. Then work across the engine bay and then remove the plastic panel.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Bruce404 said:
My leaf / leaves blockage problem in the 2002 Passat V6 bay where the battery, brake pump, pollen filter, and other systems sit was not discovered until too late. The dealer is charging me $700 to replace the waterlogged vacuum booster and for several hours of labor to clean out the accumulation of leaves blocking the drain hole(s).
That 700 bucks better be mostly for the vacuum booster. Pulling the battery and clearing the drain under it is, at most, about a half-hour job.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Isn't the vacuum booster "sealed" in order to hold vacuum? How can standing in water damage it?

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is there a motor exposed that could be damaged?

Man, just keeping all the various drains clear in these cars is a maintenance nightmare in itself.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I found an easy way to clean the crud out from the battery "drain." Use a blower of some sort with a 1 inch (or so) hose. In my case, we had a blower meant to dry wet dogs that work quite well. Other sources could include shop vacs, etc.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
pete1 said:
Isn't the vacuum booster "sealed" in order to hold vacuum? How can standing in water damage it?
No idea, but I read a thread on Edmunds.com in the Passat section that told a story about an engine that got hydro-locked :icon_eek: from sucking water in via the brake booster in the cowling section.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts