Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up a 1999 passat 1.8T:) . I love the car, even as stock. My brother the mechanic looked into them for me and told me I needed to do the timing belt very soon. Well, I bought the car with 41,000 on the clock- in 11 months i racked up 34,000 miles driving to work. At 75,000 miles, we just did the timing, serpentine, and V-belts, and whatever that 3rd belt was?;) , also the water pump, tensioner, and thermo. Thank god for the very detailed directions on this site- not that it was that hard but definately saved a couple of hours. I love this site and have spent alot of time in here now.

questions for you b5 lovers:
when i am cruising at any speed and take my foot off the gas the car shudders a little bit(like the engine shakes a little), not alot but enough to be annoying- is that a by product of turbo? never had a turbo before

also my car has developed a little shimmy at 75+ mph on the highway, again I am new- so do you think that is due to the control arm issue? or what?

and how do i find out about the recalls on my car, and if they were done or not- I bought my car from a rinky-dink dealer in podunk New Hampshire so I doubt they looked into any of that.

also I didnt get any service records with the car, how do i know if it has the dreded "sludge" issue i see so much about- I have been doing a full synthetic change every 5000 since I got it, but it seems like the oil gets real black even after the first drive after a new oil change?

any help is greatly appreciated, I know why you guys love your cars so much- as i do myself. keep up the good word fella's

---VW noob boob in NH

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
for the jerkiness, maybe try to clean your throttle body.

the "shimmy" could be the result of an unbalanced wheel.

any dealer should be able to pull up records as to what recalls have been done on the car.

any oil turns dark fairly quickly on the 1.8t. just make sure to use vw 502.00 oils every 5k. if you're concerned about it, you can also do an auto-rx treatment.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think its a unbalanced wheel, i just had new michelins put on the front a few months ago. the shimmy started a few weeks after that- or it could have been there the whole time, just didnt go fast enough to tell, it is only there over 75-80mph.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live 30 miles from work, so thats 15,000 miles plus a few trips to VT- the cape thrown in, and miles around town and about- I guess.

updates on my situation:

I got ahold of a guy in the next town over in the vag com locator website- gonna have him check for codes. this weekend I'm gonna check the throttle body and change the gasket,and change the spark plugs- hopefully that will get rid of the annoying little "shimmy" when i take my foot off the gas.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ohh yeah, also got to call the dealer to check for recalls, read somewhere about a recall for a "ecm flash"- is that important as i am already over 70,000 miles (i guess you have to pay for labor over 70,000?). also, the Rx treatment- is that something I can pick up at autozone? if so what brand is good for VW's, and is there any I should stay away from?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I have a 99 1.8t and got it recently with 116K miles. The timing belts were all replaced recetly so I think I am good there. But the brakes light starts blinking and beeping when I make a hard right turn. I think it happened on when I was on a slope today as well. But can't be certain about that. It beeps about three times and then goes away. I did check the brake fluid level and it is just above minimum. Could turning make the fluid level go below and minimum and trip the warning light? I will fill it up tomorrow. But just wanted to see if anyone else has seem something similar.
Also, I want to do the auto rx thing soon. Since all the sludge problems I read about is taking my sleep away. But I did read on auto rx's website to use non-synthetic oil during the wash stage. I don't want to put any non-synthetic into my engine. If any of you have tried auto rx, did you try it with the synthetic kind?
And, do you all let the car idle for a couple of minutes before switching off the engine? I do that every time, but I really look stupid sitting in my car. The other day, my neighbor walked by and I could see it in her eyes, that she was wondering what I was doing in there. :)

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
And, do you all let the car idle for a couple of minutes before switching off the engine? I do that every time, but I really look stupid sitting in my car. The other day, my neighbor walked by and I could see it in her eyes, that she was wondering what I was doing in there. :)
Try driving a W8... ;) :D :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Haha, I let mine idle while I go get the mail, then I stand outside my car sorting through it. Neighbors walk by and give me all sorts of strange looks too :D+

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Act like you are listening to an interesting segment on NPR.
Or listening to "gang banger" music - yell at the dash board, stabbing the air with you index finger extended like a pistol barrel.
They'll stop looking at you...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts