Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
swapping out my dead k03 tomorrow....any tips/tricks?

do i need to drain all of the oil and all of the coolant? don;t mind draining the oil, i need a change anyways, but i just flushed the coolant system doing my thermostat....

·
Registered
609 Posts
you dont really need to the the oil cause u can get the fittings off at the turbo but its easier to just drain it and you said you could use it anyways. As for the coolant i tried not draining it when i swapped my blown k04 back to my k03 cause i had just changed the coolant doing the k04, but found it to be a big pain in the ass trying to keep all the coolant in. i would drain the coolant into a really clean container and strain it as it goes in to keep any dirt out(i used really fine mesh cloth) thats what i ended up doing and it worked for me. also there is a write up in the garage index that is accurate to follow with pics.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool,thanks for the info.....i would hate to have to go buy more g12, i hate the fact that the dealer has me by the nuts for buying coolant.....

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
You can pinch the coolant lines off. I've changed my turbo 3-1/2 times now and have probably lost a grand total of 500ml of coolant that way. Although you should use a proper clamp (I'll post the pic later) you could use a set of small pointed vice grips as long as you pad between the jaws with some cloth so it doesn't wreck the hose.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,711 Posts
definitely clamp the coolant lines use something like this also soak the bolts with deep creep, PB blaster, WD 40 something like that tonight so they are easier to remove when you pull the turbo, then have at it just a warning the bottow cat bolt on the exhaust flange can be a biotch to get out.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
definitely clamp the coolant lines use something like this also soak the bolts with deep creep, PB blaster, WD 40 something like that tonight so they are easier to remove when you pull the turbo, then have at it just a warning the bottow cat bolt on the exhaust flange can be a biotch to get out.
True, if it were me I'd go out and buy a 17mm ratchet end wrench. Try and find one of the ones that requires 1 degree of movement to engage.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i looked at the write up and i figured a 17mm wobble socket should work. hopefully lol. and i have a test pipe so i think it gives me a little more room to work.

·
15,711 Posts
is it a 3 inch testpipe?

·
15,711 Posts
if its a 3 inch, theres a good chance the nuts are 14mm, the bottom will be easier than the one closest to the manifold that is the real biotch to do.

·
Registered
234 Posts
there is a good writeup on audiworld about the turbo swap. Are you going to replace the oil return line?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts