Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a donor car, 05 1.8t Wagon, full black interior that is in great condition, but has manual seats 馃槶

The current 03 V6 2.8 4motion wagon I also recently acquired had a pretty shitty interior, cracked dash, cracked and ripped light grey leather, wood grain broken, broken armrest etc.

The 03 has light grey power seats, and the donor car has manual seats but I really want to swap the dash, seats, radio bezel, armrest etc.

Is there any way to wire the electric motor and switches from the old seats into the manual seats?

Worst case if that isn't an option, would it be worth trying to transfer the leathers over or just purchasing new leathers to apply. Trying to be as cost effective as possible as I really love this 4motion wagon, but this light grey is ugly and the seat leathers / dash need to be swapped.

Moderator/Administrator
You need to swap the leather over to the power seat. The manual and power seat bases are different and you cannot retrofit motors to them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Would it be possible to swap the manual seats over with just the heating wire, or even without. I don't really need the power seats, I'd prefer perfect condition manual seats to ripped and cracked power seats

Registered
Manual seats in a "power seat" car? Absolutely. You'll lose mirror memory (and, maybe, auto-dip for reverse) - but, otherwise, it's a non-issue. The seat-heat connector is the same.

Registered
I find the manual seat more comfortable anyway.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I'm 6'4, so I always have the seat pretty far back and don't move it very often anyway 馃槀

As for mirror memory, as long it can still be adjusted with the switch on door panel ( or set by hand worst case scenario) I'll be fine.

Seeing these ugly light grey seats all torn and cracked, and the dirty light grey lower dash that's cracked at corners of radio bezel, and door panels...just irks me lol.

The 05 1.8t donor I got has immo active so it won't start, only one key, and from what he said heater core, water pump, and radiator damage. It also had 18058(powertrain data bus missing message from cluster) and 16395 (camshaft A (intake) retard point not reached, over advanced, short to another valve) codes....

but it has a nearly MINT condition all black interior aside from a small seam split on one seat. Planning on swapping everything except carpets and headliner as the HL is the same color.

Not sure I want to dive into all the problems with the donor tbh, he needed it gone and took $350 for it, I could swap the interior and part the rest out and more than likely make that back pretty easy.

Registered
Well, there you go! Sounds like a solid plan there.
With the manual seats in the car, the power mirrors will still work - because, those are driven by the door modules (the window motors.) There is some inter-play with the driver's seat module - if that's gone, the memory function (and, as best I get, the curb-parking function, being a sub-function of seat/mirror memory) will also cease to be. But, be our guinea pig on this one! I'd be genuinely curious to know if curb function still works correctly, after you swap in the manual seats.

Moderator/Administrator
Well, there you go! Sounds like a solid plan there.
With the manual seats in the car, the power mirrors will still work - because, those are driven by the door modules (the window motors.) There is some inter-play with the driver's seat module - if that's gone, the memory function (and, as best I get, the curb-parking function, being a sub-function of seat/mirror memory) will also cease to be. But, be our guinea pig on this one! I'd be genuinely curious to know if curb function still works correctly, after you swap in the manual seats.
I'm thinking no, because of the aforementioned memory tie-in to the seat module. I am doing the opposite now with trying to get memory to tie-in on a manual seat car. I too am interested to see which functions cease and which are retained. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I'm probably gonna do the seats and door panels first, this week/weekend. Seems easier before trying to tackle the dashboard. To be honest, I really only need the bottom half of the dash but I'm not exactly sure how it splits, and I wonder if it's easier to drop the steering column instead of removing the steering wheel to swap the dash.

I hate dashboards. My first MK1 GTI was no fun replacing the heater core in ~10掳f lol. Then again in my 97 Jetta GLX.

Haven't had to on the B5 yet, but I'm sure it's just as annoying 馃槀

I'll keep this updated in terms of what features work after the swap!

Registered
@VAGguy

I'm thinking no, because of the aforementioned memory tie-in to the seat module. I am doing the opposite now with trying to get memory to tie-in on a manual seat car. I too am interested to see which functions cease and which are retained. (y)
I have added memory seats to my car with original manual seats. But been to lazy to fix the memory function, everything else ok......Mayby this could help you?

If you won't be installing memory mirrors I think there was only two wires needed for the memory to work properly. You need Can high and Can low for that. You can get some info from the link below. Ou yea...also ignition power so three wires.
First there is one connector with 6 pins in it. Pin3 - 12v Pin4 - ground Pin5 - ignition 12v
Then there's connector for memory function. There is 10 pins. Pin1 is empty and others are connected to the mirrors. You only need Pin9 - Can High and Pin10 - Can Low. About where to connect them - easiest is under drivers feet near the CCM (comfort module). On the left there are bunch of wires...just find matching wires (Can HIGH is orange wire with green stripe and Can LOW is orange wire with brown stripe). Just be sure to connect them to the right CAN wiring cause there are also two other options (stripe colors are different).

Or/and this could help you: Use Google translate....
Umbau und Einbau einer W8 Innenausstattung

1 - 10 of 10 Posts