Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On March 16th I placed an order with an online retailer for an Eibach Pro-Kit system to go with my new Flik Wasps with Falken Ziex 512 and a shiny Chas-bar. Originally I was told I'd have to wait 4 days for it to get shipped. I had a guy lined up to do the installation and the alignment for $230. That was easy enough. ...Yeah f***ing right! First appointment was cancelled because apparently everything was on back order. The guy swore up and down that I would have everything before 04/09. I made another appointment for installation. The order was placed for myself and my brothers car. Finally I was told everything was shipped and I was given a tracking number. So we get the package yesterday and my stuff is nowhere to be found. I call the guy again. He tells me sorry, I'll find it and send it to you two day air so I don't have to cancel my appointment again. Ok. Tonight I call him back to get a tracking number and he's got another story. He says the guy he talked to at Eibach confused the part numbers, they don't have anything for me and I would have to wait until 04/30 for the kit to get shipped. At this point I asked him to credit me the money back. I called everyone, no one has the Pro-Kit. Tire Rack is out, shox.com are out.
I don't think I have the patience to wait a month for the Eibach Kit. The same retailer told me he can beat the group buy price on Neuspeed Sports and Bilsteins Sports by $20 shipped and he has them in stock.

I chose Eibach because it is the most conservative drop solution out there. Now that it's time to compromise I'm looking for opinions on Neuspeed/Bilstein setup or Neuspeed/Koni setup. I live in Wisconsin, the roads are not that bad but the winters are. In your opinion, do I wait for the Eibach or go with the either of the two setups mentioned above. I researched to find out that Koni's on the highest setting are softer then Bilsteins. Are Koni shocks and Neuspeed springs fully compatible? Am I going to sacrifice a lot in terms of comfort by going with either one of those options.
Lay it on me, PLEASE. I have to make a decision.
TIA.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When you say "conservative", do you mean not to much of a drop? If so you might want to consider H&R OE Sports with the Koni Yellows. I run this set-up on my B5.5 and am very happy with the ride quality (not harsh) and the drop (1" front, 3/4" rear).

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I anticipate it being harsher, but by how much. Am I going to be jumping on every crack in the asphalt? Will the car develop squeaks and rattles all over the place? Am I going to need new fillings in my teeth?

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you want to stick with an Eibach type drop / stiffness, you could order the VW Sport Springs from DrewParts ... with the ClubB5 discount, they're $40 more than the Eibachs from Shox.com, and they are VW approved.

I decided to go with them & Koni's on my 4Mo ...

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
If you get the Eibachs, you MUST MUST MUST, I repeat MUST buy a set of the low vin pirches. If you don't the front will sit about an inch higher than the rear and you will be even more mad.

I have a 2001.5 B5.5 and at first when I just put the Eibach springs on the car with stock shock and stock pirch the front was about an inch higher. It always looked like the rear was sagging. Well, it was b/c the front was higher. So, when I finally bought some bilsteins used from a cb5 member he also sold me the low-vin pirches, which allows the pirch to sit about an inch lower than the current high-vin pirch. This is the pirch made for the Eibach springs.

Check it out, you want the one of the right, the one with the vents. You can get it from the dealer or www.parts4vws.com (I think). - kevin

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have the Eibach setup...also had to wait A LONG TIME. It's worth the wait if it's what you're looking for. Patience will be rewarded. If you're unhappy w/ whatever setup you buy for the here and now, you'll kick yourself for not waiting.

steve

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Both the Neuspeed Sport (1.65 - 1.75" actual drop) and the Neuspeed SofSport (0.95 - 1.1" actual drop) have the same spring rate. It's a higher spring rate (up to 20% stiffer) then what Eibach offers but because they have a progressive spring rate, they stiffen up to their full stiffness when you are throwing the car around curves and are relatively comfortable when just cruizing around.

If you are concerned about bad roads, consider the SofSports with a 1 inch drop. And AFAIK, Koni's set to their highest dampening rates rebound harder than Bilsteins (understand that is a subjective measurement though). After all the people who have gone though with their Neuspeed/Koni & Neuspeed Bilstein installs, none have come back and reported that their ride was harsh. Everyone, within days or weeks, said they've found the ride to be accomodating and comfortable enough.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I just placed the order for Neuspeed Sports and Koni's through S_Klass's GB. Those are awesome prices. Can't wait to get my stuff installed.
:thumbup: There was one more development with the vendor that my brother and I went with originally. I got a refund of what I paid but my brother was still getting his suspension through him. To add insult to injury yesterday my brother received two sets of front shocks. After a couple of phone calls the mistake was corrected by sending him the right parts using overnight delivery since he has an appointment for installation tomorrow morning. But I've never heard so many excuses and so much finger pointing. This is what I get for bargain shopping :mad: . Shox.com or Group Buys only for me from now on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts