Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife has a Black 2002 B5.5 Passat with a 2.8l V6 and 4motion. She ALSO has a golden retriever / St Bernard mix that weighs over 125lbs and always rides in the back. We recently went camping and with My wife and I, the three boys, camping gear and the dog in the boot, the wagon was looking a bit low to the ground.

I feel it's time to refresh the front and rear suspension since we will have the dog for a long time, and I want to eventually add a trailer hitch so I can tow a 12ft aluminum boat as well. Been looking at a LOT of threads today (3 hours worth anyway) and am now confused. I don't want to lower the car at all since we do go camping in some questionable areas and even took it through a "puddle" that was almost 1.5 feet deep this weekend (it was awesome!).

So, question is, what should I get to replace the front and rear shocks and maybe springs? If possible i'd love to go higher, but the chances i'd find the 1BB package or the 4mo version are non-existant. Look forward to your suggestions.

·
Registered
970 Posts
If you do a search for a "spring distance kit" you'll find a few threads on here and some info on google. It's essentially a spacer that replaces the pad between the spring and the body.

I know there was a company called Weitec that made them. I think they were bought by KW. Not sure if they are available stateside but you can try calling them.

You could also probably fab something up or have a set made. Spring spacers are very common in the off road community.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Having a 2002 B5.5 Passat with a 2.8l V6 and 4-Motion.
Also has a golden retriever / St Bernard mix that weighs over 125lbs and always rides in the back.
We recently went camping and with My wife and I, the three boys, camping gear and the dog in the boot,
the wagon was looking a bit low to the ground.

I feel it's time to refresh the front and rear suspension since we will have the dog for a long time, and I want to eventually add a trailer hitch so I can tow a 12ft aluminum boat as well.
Been looking at a LOT of threads today (3 hours worth anyway) and am now confused.

So, question is, what should I get to replace the front and rear shocks and maybe springs ?
If possible I'd love to go higher, but the chances I'd find the 1BB package for the 4-Motion version are non-existant.
First:
A normal shockabsorber is not doing any of the "lifting" in a car.
All the height of the car comes from what type of springs you have on the car.

1. The 1BB kit does increase the car with + 20 mm compared to a standard suspension, and by + 40 mm compared to the "Sport" suspension.
2. The WEITEC spring distance kit is a great product.
3. Since you have a B5.5 4-Motion you are lucky... ---> To get your car higher of the ground in a cheap way you can use all the springs and all the shocks from the Audi A6 Quattro Wagon ( "C5" )
They are a direct fit on the B5.5 Passat
...do remember to chose from an modell that having the V6 TDI engine with standard suspension

:wrench: :wrench:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much. I know the shocks don't do any lifting but tired shocks = more stress on springs. I will find some V6 TDI C5 shocks and springs!

First:
A normal shockabsorber is not doing any of the "lifting" in a car.
All the height of the car comes from what type of springs you have on the car.

1. The 1BB kit does increase the car with + 20 mm compared to a standard suspension, and by + 40 mm compared to the "Sport" suspension.
2. The WEITEC spring distance kit is a great product.
3. Since you have a B5.5 4-Motion you are lucky... ---> To get your car higher of the ground in a cheap way you can use all the springs and all the shocks from the Audi A6 Quattro Wagon ( "C5" )
They are a direct fit on the B5.5 Passat
...do remember to chose from an modell that having the V6 TDI engine with standard suspension

:wrench: :wrench:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Crap looks like the V6 TDI was only in Europe and I'm in the states.
Would something like this kit do the same thing:
Link: Audi A6 Strut Shock Absorber Kit - 2002-04 - AWD Sedan w/ 6 Cylinder 3.0L Engine - Preassembled w/ Coil Springs
Probably yes :thumbup:
but it all depends on the diameter of the wire used to make the springs, and do order the "kit" for the Wagon instead
Link: Audi A6 Strut Shock Absorber Kit - 2002-04 - AWD Wagon w/ 6 Cylinder 3.0L Engine - Preassembled w/ Coil Springs

Audi A6 Quattro Wagon ( 2002-2004 ) with V6 Cylinder 3.0L Engine - Strut Shock Absorber Kit - Preassembled w/ Coil Springs
Part #
MGR2014-B

:wrench:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts