Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to aquire a 2002 or 2003 GLX 4Motion in the next couple weeks and plan to get some rims right away after browsing around this most excellent forum. I am new to these types of modifications so your understanding is appreciated.

I have decided to go 17's (possibly 18's) and am trying to learn more about suspension. I will be letting my wife take the car on occasion (I know I know, bad idea) but we've got a baby on the way so i gotta share.

Therefore I am hoping to firstly improve appearance - I am sure performance will improve with almost any but want to preserve comfort as much as possible. Can someone recommend a good setup that meets the above requirements?

The Eibach Pro kit appears to be a prefferred one, is the ride considerably rougher than stock? Or do I mix components?

To add to the challenge I am looking to do it on the cheap. I have a good vw mechanic that will help with labor costs but dont know what setups generally run

thanks for all your help

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Get the Eibach Pro System.
It rides a bit rougher than stock... that has to be expected, but it's not uncomfortable.

I have a nagging wife and a 10 month old baby. No problems with the family in my car. I just installed the Eibach kit about a week ago. Oh ya, new wheels are a bonus too!

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Are you looking at a wagon or sedan? 17's may be a better option because the Eibach Pro System rides very close to stock, as far as stiffness. I think Jimmy's rough ride is effected moreso from the 18" BBS RA's than the suspension. You might want to price out the full system on Shox.com or Tirerack. :thumbup:

Lord, everyone and their momma's momma with a Black Passat is sporting VZ's or RA's. I know it's time for me to switch up quick.. :wink: I can't hate on you JimmyDee because the setup looks good.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
No, I had the 18" wheels for 2 weeks before I got the suspension done... the rougher ride is definitely due to the springs.

That being said, the 40 series tires didn't help... it's a combination of both. But I felt the firm ride the most after I put in the suspension.

Ya... it does look good, doesn't it.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I would say that the Eibach Pro-System rides about 20% stiffer than stock. Where it really shines is cornering.

I'm running 17s and yes there is a decrease in comfort the bigger you go but I think 17s are a good balance.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'd agree with RL331 on both points.
The Eibach System is superb in the cornering and 17" wheels will give you a nicer ride than 18"... but the 18" look much cooler!

Don't ya just love a clean car...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.