Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed Nuespeed Sport Springs and Bilstein shock in my B5.5. I love the look and the performance; however I have a question about the ride. I have noticed that my car vibrates a little at speeds over 60 MPH. I have had the tires balanced, and that helped a little, but the vibrating is still there. So any ideas as to the cause?

Notes:

I was not brave enough to pound the spring mounts off the front, so I have the stock Sachs shock in the front and the Bilsteins in the rear. I will be rectifying this soon. :crazy:

I did not align the front end, as the wheel is straight when I drive.

I have 235 45 R17 wheels / tires.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
RAWERW said:
I recently installed Nuespeed Sport Springs and Bilstein shock in my B5.5. I love the look and the performance; however I have a question about the ride. I have noticed that my car vibrates a little at speeds over 60 MPH. I have had the tires balanced, and that helped a little, but the vibrating is still there. So any ideas as to the cause?

Notes:

I was not smart enough to figure out how to get the spring mounts off the front, so I have the stock Sachs shock in the front and the Bilsteins in the rear. I will be rectifying this soon. :crazy:

I did not align the front end, as the wheel is straight when I drive.

I have 235 45 R17 wheels / tires.
Do you have Hubcentric rings on the wheels?

·
0 Posts
Kinda scarey you did a suspension job and you didn't know how to get the spring off. Just we dont want to have to start a :b5: obituary section, those springs hurt you be careful! :nervous:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
20vvillian said:
Kinda scarey you did a suspension job and you didn't know how to get the spring off. Just we dont want to have to start a :b5: obituary section, those springs hurt you be careful! :nervous:
I do know how to get the springs off - I just was a bit unsure about pounding the spring mounting plate off the stock spring, with out a back up. Nothing worse that a car out of comission. Now that I have a back up, I will install the Bilstein's in the front too.

·
Registered
26,196 Posts
You will need to get it aligned when it settles in a few weeks. Even though the wheel is strait,the alignment it out.
The car will have toe-out when dropped. Combined with the extra camber of a
lowered car,you will wear tires quickly.
The wheels are causing the vibration.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Get some hub rings and I know some people who have not gotten an alignment in over 4 years after dropping and no fast tire wear. So who knows :???:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have it checked out on the alignment rack this weekend and I will also look into getting some hub rings. It sounds like both are a worth while investment.

Thanks for the help :thumbup:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
RAWERW said:
20vvillian said:
I do know how to get the springs off - I just was a bit unsure about pounding the spring mounting plate off the stock spring, with out a back up. Nothing worse that a car out of comission. Now that I have a back up, I will install the Bilstein's in the front too.
it's not that hard...just tap it around the whole ring, and it'll come out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts