Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Okay, so the car's been making these metal-on-metal noises over bumps for a while and since the missus is going to start commuting to work next week we thought we better take it in. So I drop it off and they replace an "upper guide link" (8E0-407-510-A), then tell me both tie rods were seized so they spent 2.5 hours "unseizing" them. Add an alignment after that and.... ch-ching.

So I drive home and it seems better-ish that is until I drive in my bumpy alley and I hear the same noises again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCZeE7_TJpM

You can start hearing it at about 9 seconds in (I know it's windy today) but I don't know what to do... as I drove around the dealership again where it's not too bumpy and couldn't hear it until I got home to my rickety old alley. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
How do you un-sieze tie rods? Siezing is metal on metal. After that, it's junk, period. You'd better go back and crack some skulls. Of all the people that do work on cars the stealership should be last ones to try and 'fix' a siezed component, liability issues lie within big time here in this scenario. Dealership made a pretty dumb move on this one.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
They most likely meant the tie rod bolts were seized and they had to drill/cut them out. I had the same issue when i went for an alignment a few weeks ago. Of course they put new tie rods in for me, which i'm assuming they did for you. That noise sounds like your exhaust hitting the heatshielding on the underside of the car.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
metal to metal noise. where is it coming from? bcz I can't hear shit in the video. :lol:

how long have you been having it? when was the last time you replace your rotor/brake pads? who replaced it?

if it's metal to metal, and I have to say... 90% would be the brake pads moving around inside the carrier housing. Mine was having the metal to metal noise from the front suspension area for 2 years, had different shop checked too, but werent able to find out. , at first I thought it was control arms. then finally have Auto Haus checked, and it was the brake pads moving inside the housing, they put some silicone in the back of each pad,, and D::::: noise was gone.

get your brake check out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would be the brake pads moving around inside the carrier housing...
This I could see.....

Does this mean I should throw a fit if it was just this? and does that mean all that suspension work was unwarranted from a bad diagnosis? All brake pads/rotors were replaced by them 12k kilometers ago with PBR Axxis Deluxe pads and Brembo OE rotors.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
you could search around, there is a thread about pads making metal to metal noise. do the following should fix the noise and yes PBR's fitting sucks.

get OEM pads
replace the pads locking spring.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
EBC pads work great and my wheels are still clean even after not washing them since the mandatory water restrictions went into effect a month ago. (Truth be told, I hadn't washed my car for probably a month before that, too.)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you could search around, there is a thread about pads making metal to metal noise. do the following should fix the noise and yes PBR's fitting sucks.

get OEM pads
replace the pads locking spring.
Noise was the Drivers Rear brake pad. They are replacing them both "under warranty" as they were replaced 12k ago. Thanks for the help dude :thumbup:

They did show me the control arm they replaced and it was in need as well...don't feel as bad :p

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
At least they showed you a replaced component. I'd be nervous if they fixed a siezed part.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
How do you un-sieze tie rods? Siezing is metal on metal. After that, it's junk, period. You'd better go back and crack some skulls. Of all the people that do work on cars the stealership should be last ones to try and 'fix' a siezed component, liability issues lie within big time here in this scenario. Dealership made a pretty dumb move on this one.
All they surely meant was that the threaded adjustment for the tie rods where they screw into the rack and been stuck because VW is too damn stupid to put any kind of lubricant on them from the factory.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts