Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I know many lowering kits are available for those passat owners who like to scratch the bellies of their beloved VW.
I like to keep the bottom protection in good shape, so I was thinking that since I have to change the shocks anyway, adding 2 cm of clearance would maybe save my passat from some belly scratching or some front end bumping against a deep unmarked dip on a corner. IN many countries the Passats have an extra cm or two of clearance.
Anybody knows if you can find here the taller/longer coil springs to add that extra clearance to the passats?
Thanks,
Alejandro

·
$t0rm1n [email protected]
8,184 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't raise it any higher for the body roll will be crazy. Where do you live and what are the stats of the car? Maybe your stock sus setup is gone and your bouncing up and down to much causing the rubbing? When stock you should hit a thing unless you are in the woods!

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
I think the metal skid plate is the best answer. Unless you're going off road, I think you have to really try to bottom out on the stock suspension, assuming your shocks aren't blown.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hello
I know many lowering kits are available for those passat owners who like to scratch the bellies of their beloved VW.
I like to keep the bottom protection in good shape, so I was thinking that since I have to change the shocks anyway, adding 2 cm of clearance would maybe save my passat from some belly scratching or some front end bumping against a deep unmarked dip on a corner. IN many countries the Passats have an extra cm or two of clearance.
Anybody knows if you can find here the taller/longer coil springs to add that extra clearance to the passats?
Thanks,
Alejandro
and what put 24" rims on it to?

·
Registered
26,011 Posts
1BB would work, but may be hard to get in the US. I actually bottom out less on my 1BE/Koni than I did on the stock suspension. I have a 1" drop.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Way to go guys! It took a Brit to actually point this guy in the right direction. Flame away.
Meaning what?
My assumption is that he was pointing out that it took someone from another country to give the OP a straight answer. :thumbup:

And on a side note, I need this info as well. I'm looking into adding yet another B5 to the stable primarily for winter driving. My wife thought it would be kinda kewl to have identical color/trim B5's, my FWD Variant for most of my driving and a 4Mo Sedan for the winter. The white stuff comes down stupid fast sometimes and I don't want to drive the 4x4 (87 K5 Blazer) the entire 130 r/t just so I can get to the freeway that's 22 miles from the house. I'm looking at slightly lifting the 4Mo to get some much needed ground clearance for those times...

:driving: - Jon

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,784 Posts
My assumption is that he was pointing out that it took someone from another country to give the OP a straight answer. :thumbup:
Ah of course, people from other countries don't usually offer much assistance.

Short of being hotel porters, waiters and Grenedier Guards we Brits are pretty useless at everything. :lol:

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Ah of course, people from other countries don't usually offer much assistance.

Short of being hotel porters, waiters and Grenedier Guards we Brits are pretty useless at everything. :lol:
Au contraire, mes amis, you DID provide us with Guiness, Harp and Bass! :thumbup:

But you ALSO gave us bubble & squeak and bangers & mash... :icon_eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Meaning what?
Meaning that the responses from most of the US guys were insults rather that helpful. I guess if you don't slam your passat for use on paved and well maintained roads in non snowbelt areas, you are subject to insults in the forum. I think lowered passats look great, but folks who's cars are not lowered are also valued members of the club and not deserving of insults.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
17 Participants
leadfoot
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing