Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the next week, I am going to be installing a new suspension on the car. I dont want to fly blind, so I searched the forums and didnt find a write up anywhere.

I know I am going to need some of the following:
13mm socket
17mm socket
18mm?
Ratchet
Impact gun (for removal only)
Torque wrench
jack stands
jack
spring clamps?

Anything else I need for this? And will I need any spring clamps if I am just swapping over to an already assembled coilover system? Everything would be greatly appreciated. Mayber HermanH has something on his site, but I dont rememebr what site it was for his Passat page. Anyone?

TIA,
Steve

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
yes you'll still need spring compressors, the kw coilovers still reuse the upper spring hat from your existing combination for the fronts.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
suspension is pretty staight foward, its a total of 5 nuts and 3 screw if you do it the long way or 3 screws if you do it the shortcut way (a little harder).

best of luck.

all you need is a basic set of metric sockets and wrenches.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
13mm,16mm and 18mm sockets and wrenches. A good punch (10-12") for the
bottom of the ball joint on the upper control arms,it makes it much easier to remove.
An 18" pry bar will make it easier to get the shock over the lower control arm.
PZ.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, I checked out the infor forum and from what HermanH has to offer there, its only for the front struts. Is there something that goes into detail of what is needed to install the rear shocks and springs? I know we remove the lower bolt in the cross member holding the sway ar ends and shock bottoms and insert springs that way. But what do I do to mount the shocks to the side of the car? Anything special to do that?

TIA,
Steve

·
Registered
245 Posts
As for the fronts... I do not have as much experience with Passats as HermanH, but imo its better to force out those rubber caps over the 2 strut bolts

than remove the entire top mount assembly. Plus, if you ever have to remove the struts again..and you will..it will be so much easier the next time.

The rears are soooo easy! Lookie here http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15681&highlight=spring+install
In that thread there is a link to a complete writeup on front and rear install. I used it this past weekend to install my springs and it was an excellent guide!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I posted this in another thread, but thought it would be useful here too :)

Here's a few shots of the dreaded top mount strut nuts, w/OUT the covers...

Passenger side

Driver side

NOT the bolts with the big ol washers, but the nuts that are recessed and have an outline where the covers were. The biggest problem was that part of the cover (one on each side) was welded into that seam..hard to see. The other ones, closer to the firewall, were not so difficult.

The only other issue was getting a socket over the drivers side nut closest to the seam (or farthest from the firewall) where the brake lines run right over that sucker...so BE CAREFUL. How I did it was to drop a short 13mm socket into the hole by GENTLY lifting and pulling on the brake lines while using a telescoping magnet to position it in place. Then a socket extention easily fit on with just the slightest push of the brake line. Done!

Note that others have said its too much effort to remove these covers and prefer removing the ENTIRE upper control arm assembly..ie 6 bolts or so. I don't agree with this approach. IMO, its much more practical to endure the pain of removing those stupid little covers, so that the next time you're in there (and you will be back), the job will be a breeze :)

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for posting that infor Mr P.... Since I currently have the H&R sports installed on the car now, the covers have previously been removed from the last time stuff was installed. I just need to get a socket in there, which shouldnt be too hard then.

Thanks,
Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts