Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies in advance if this is to be found elsewhere, but search did not return any answers.

I've got my Eibach Pro Kit, lined up the pit crew and garage, read Herman's write up about 50 times and ready to install. Read Bentley, paper and CD, went to dealer to get the one time hardware to replace.

Question, other than the bottom 'pin' bolts and nuts on both front and back, what other one time hardware are people replacing? It appears that the nuts for connecting the front struts to the top plate are about it.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25,993 Posts
Not a thing. Had it apart about 8 times and all of the bolts are as tight as day 1.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You won't need shorter bumpstops unless you're lowering the car a lot (more than the pro-kit). Repeat - don't mess around with your bumpstops.

I don't even think I replaced the bolts that you're talking about - though I might be thinking of the c-clip fasteners that hold the front shock assembly in place after the main nuts are removed. Those things just seemed like an annoyance. So I didn't replace anything (other than springs and shocks, of course).

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MikekiM said:
Shorter bumpstops.
GoBigRed said:
You won't need shorter bumpstops unless you're lowering the car a lot (more than the pro-kit). Repeat - don't mess around with your bumpstops.
No, my question is about the nuts and bolts that hold the darn thing together!! :crazy:

The Bentley calls for replacing one timers, but sorta hard to tell in exactly which ones need replacing. Clearly the bottom bolts and nuts, I'm questioning about the rest of the assembly.

FYI, Eibach is saying to trim the bump stops to eliminate the high front end problem others experienced.

Thanks!

·
Registered
25,993 Posts
The nuts and bolts will be fine. Bentley and VW are being overly cautious.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
So the day is finally (almost) here! :thumbup: LOL with the instal Mike! Let me how much you enjoy the new setup and also if the splash guards scrap ...

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Feilo said:
So the day is finally (almost) here! :thumbup: LOL with the instal Mike! Let me how much you enjoy the new setup and also if the splash guards scrap ...
Week from Saturday. Gotta figure out these one time things first, hate to start something and have to run for parts!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I just got mine done at Dubwerks, along with the 28mm sway bar and the car is absolutely fantastic! I cant say enough about the ride. I'm going to Valpo to switch to a 1.1 bar chip this weekend, and then back to dubwerks the weekend after for a tip chip upgrade. You're going to love it.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Hey pacent - next time we are at a Chi-town-land GTG, it would be great if I could try out the 1.1 bar Wett chip/Tip Chip! BTW, why did you not get the Tip Chip done when you did your suspension? Just being nosey!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Sure, I can give you a ride :) I was going to get the tip chip when I got my suspension installed, but Rich didn't have the particular socket in stock. When he pulled out my tip chip, it was a B socket or something and all he had were A type sockets. He said it takes him a couple of days to order it, and I'm bringing my car back there for an allignment anyways, so hes going to do it for me then.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
anyone here have the eibach pro-system and not do anything to their to their stock bumpstops??

·
Registered
25,993 Posts
Yep,kept them stock. No issues. It should have no effect on height as the
stops are not in contact when the car is lowered with Eibachs. You may contact
the stops when you hit a bump/dip and it will feel sharper.
Suposedly,I was airborne over some hills last week at 90mph and did not even
notice it. Ride was great and I did not bottom out. (Eibach V6 springs/Konis on
a 1.8T).

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
If you get the prosystem, it comes with bumpstops. These are the ones that my installers used. I'm not sure if the bumpstocks eibach supplies are stock or not

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
are bumpstops hard to install??

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Like many of the posts above have mentioned... none ofthe hardware was changed when I did my 98, and my 01 (twice on the 01). There is no need to replace any of the nuts and bolts for a suspension install.

Your Eibach dampers come with shorter OEM bumpstops (1BB suspension parts), so just swap them out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
16 Participants
OakHillVariant
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing