Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was having my local shop install coilovers today on my 04.5 1.8T AWD. Got a call from them telling me negative camber was far above normal for lowering (not sure what this means, I will get a percentage from them tomorrow). What are my options and what have you guys done to correct such a problem? I did a search and only confused myself more. I saw that there are adjustable links that can be purchased but I am not sure who sells them. Also, is there a difference between these links and control arms?

Please advise, I suppose I should have done some more research beforehand but now that I am this far along, any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

EDIT: They said its about 2 degree negative camber. What difference does having them do the alignment based on the 1BE setup make?

·
Registered
201 Posts
The amount of negative camber you end up with will be a function of the amount of drop your going with. Ask the shop, that did the work, what the Neg. camber is. If it is greater than -1.5 deg.(more negative), you can expect accellerated tire wear on the inside edge of you tires, how fast will depend on, tire width and profile, and your over all alignment, (toe in etc.).

Since camber is not adjustable on Passat's, adjustible links or controll arms will allow you to compensate for the drop and bring your camber back in to factory spec.

There are a number of sources for these parts, I'm sure other members will chime in with specifics. These parts are usually not cheap and there will be added installation costs. An other alternative is to go with less drop to reduce the excess amount of neg. camber, also frequent tire rotation is recommended.

HTH's

Frank

·
Registered
26,001 Posts
You can live with 2 degrees but it will wear tires faster. You can get the
CPP Adjustable control arms to correct the camber. Check out ECS.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PZ said:
You can live with 2 degrees but it will wear tires faster. You can get the
CPP Adjustable control amrs to correct the camber. Check out ECS.
they have the CPP for the 5.5?

thanks for the info, I'll check it out today.

·
Registered
26,001 Posts
Yes,but they are not cheap.

·
Registered
26,001 Posts
Yes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
gtigolfpassat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing