Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI GUYS

OK, my car got hit in the front driver's side, where the wheel took most of the impact. The suspension started making all sorts of creaking and groaning sounds on starts, stops, and turns. I took the car straight to my mechanic to have it looked over. The noise was quieted by poking holes in the boots for the ball joints and shooting in some lube, but both lower control arms need replaced on count of the ball joints being messed up. My mechanic quoted me $305 per side for just the "front support control arms" (as stated on thier quote), and I got similar pricing from the local VW stealerships.

My questions are:
Does the OE control arm kit from ECS tuning, or something similar to it get me the appropriate parts for the repair? You can see the ECS kit here: http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?searchstring=control+arm&searchqt=byvehicle&make=Volkswagen&model=Passat+B5&submodel=FWD&engine=1.8T

Are there other parts that I should consider replacing while this work is being done?

Your input is greatly appreciated! :bow:

·
Registered
26,008 Posts
That would be what you need. Check the tie rods ends,they usually go out faster
than the ball joints. If you have the old style (ball joint) sway bar links,replace
them with the newer style.

Are you sure the subframe was not bent? Misalignment of the arms would cause
the bushings to bind. Lots of noise..
PZ.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mechanic went over the whole front end with a fine tooth comb, and everything else was OK. He fixed the alignment and shot in the lube, and that's it. The car drives the same as before, and the noises are all gone at least for now. I don't know what's under there for the sway bar links - how can I tell what I have?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
26,008 Posts
What year do you have? I do not know when they changed,but my 2000 has the updated ones.
You can see them if you look under the car,they attach to the forward lca and the sway bar. The old
style has ball joints,the new style has bushings and a bolt thru.

·
Registered
453 Posts
soundguybob said:
HI GUYS

OK, my car got hit in the front driver's side, where the wheel took most of the impact. The suspension started making all sorts of creaking and groaning sounds on starts, stops, and turns. I took the car straight to my mechanic to have it looked over. The noise was quieted by poking holes in the boots for the ball joints and shooting in some lube, but both lower control arms need replaced on count of the ball joints being messed up. My mechanic quoted me $305 per side for just the "front support control arms" (as stated on thier quote), and I got similar pricing from the local VW stealerships.

My questions are:
Does the OE control arm kit from ECS tuning, or something similar to it get me the appropriate parts for the repair? You can see the ECS kit here: http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?searchstring=control+arm&searchqt=byvehicle&make=Volkswagen&model=Passat+B5&submodel=FWD&engine=1.8T

Are there other parts that I should consider replacing while this work is being done?

Your input is greatly appreciated! :bow:
Hey How ya doing....Well im a Body shop estimator and it sound like your getting a hellava deal for 305. It i were you have him check your Hub and bearing assy as well if the impact was that hard they might need to be chaged as well. Let me know how it goes :D

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your input guys. I had the tierod recall done in Oct of '02, so I might have some newer stuff under there.

PZ, I have a '98, so I guess I have the old style unless things were replaced at another time.

Seanboy, I'll definately make sure my mechanic checks out that stuff if he didn't already.

You guys are what make this forum great! :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
soundguybob
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing