Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

those who have done or participated in the installation of new springs and shocks/struts, I have a question. Is it easier to remove the whole assembly including the upper control arms OR remove the two upper strut bolts while leaving the upper plate/control arm assembly in place?

Please chime in with experiences/pics of your opinions.

Regards,
Carl

·
Registered
965 Posts
Don't remove the upper control arms.
It's tons easier, especially if you're in a snowy area. That bolt for the upper control arms in front can be a MAJOR PITA to remove once it's rusted.

Don't even waste your time touching it. I've done over 50 A4 and B5 installs, just for reference.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
bump for info. I used the method the bently said to do it in, i just removed the upper strut bolts, and had no problems. the less work the better

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
What they said.

The little plugs that cover the nuts are a bitch to get out. Just be careful not to damage the brake lines while doing it. A 3/8" drive extension fits between the brake lines, which have a little flex to them.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
def what nyc4ever said, you have to be carful around there and an extended socket will fit between if you are careful u can move the brake lines some

·
Registered
26,011 Posts
I have always removed the 2 upper strut bolts and detached the ball joints on the control arms.
It is harder to get the strut over the LCA with the uppers attached. More chance to damage the CV boot.
The plugs are a PITA.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I prefer to remove the entire assembly because I don't want to remove the plugs or mess with them. To me, it shouldn't take you much longer to remove the entire assembly by removing three big bolts on top.

However, if you are doing it for the first time, there is a little clip that holds the assembly to the chassis (don't know if this applies to all). You need to remove that first before the whole assembly will drop down.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Another vote for removing the two upper strut nuts. The four plastic covers are a big pain. If you do them a day or two before you actually tackle the struts themselves it makes it a lot easier.

I also highly recommend unbolting the swaybar link. It takes all of 30 seconds and it makes it easier to install/remove the strut assembly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome!!! thanks for all the info. I will be getting neuspeed sport springs and am saving for some shocks and will be performing the surgery very soon.

Carl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
dc2002
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing