Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 passat 1.8T auto. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. last week I was just about to pull into my garage and my front left upper rear control arm ball joint broke. I bought a replacement and repaired it. I drove the car about 100 miles and now there is a rattle as if a dribbling basket ball from the left front tier. It happens over very slight road imperfection not on harsh bumps. it is at the beginning of movement of the tire. I can not find anything loose under the car. I have even jacked it up and used a long bar placed into the rim so I can try to move the tire and suspension up down and all directions. SO what could it be .. Could the control arm break have caused damage to my rack or other components? where or how else do i look?

Thanks Michael Walterman

· I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,167 Posts
If the job weren't done before, I would replace all the suspension arms etc. with a complete kit such as the FCP Groton one. You can also replace the front shock mounts.

As for your noise, did you tighten the inner bolt for the replacement control arm with the suspension at ride height?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.