Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys my name is Frank. I don't really post too much but, I have a 01' Variant 1.8T Triptronic. I'm thinking of doing some mods. The car has 35k miles and is in need of some upgrades and maintenance. I use the car as my daily commuter and don't want something too extreme. My wife uses the car as well and, she's already notified me that she isn't really going to stop for speed bumps. :mad: Anyhow, I need some solid suggestions on brakes, suspension, and a chip.

This is what I have planned so far:
Brakes-Zimmerman Rotors/Mintex Pads
Suspension-Neuspeed SofSport springs/Bilstein HD shocks/Nspd Rr Sway
Chip-APR/ Does Revo make one yet for Passat's?

Ok, so I'd like for you guys to keep in mind price and installation. I have a company I don't want to mention, quote me $1950 for all the parts installed. Do any of you know who might carry better parts and still be under $2k for parts and installed?

By the way, here are a few pics of the wagon and my other project I've been heavily involved in after I got my Passat. So, I have more knowledge right now on my MKIV than I do on my B5. :(

Help a brotha out. :wink:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
well, for parts alone, just some approximate prices:

rotors/pads: $350
springs/shocks: $600
rear sway: $250
APR: $500

so, that leaves around $250 for installation, which isn't bad at all for that work.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking after I contacted a different company for a quote. :thumbup:

Now I just have to make a decision regarding what parts to finally install. :?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Its probably gonna run more than 250 for install of all that :roll:

I would look about 350-400 at least, unless you know the owner of an indy shop or something...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VWPassatGLX155, since I've brought this company a lot of business with my MK4, I guess I'm getting a pretty good discount.:D

The Swami, I have axxis pads now waiting to be installed on my MK4 for the Thunderhill Raceway event coming up. I really don't know what they feel like but hear that they don't release too much dust and perform very well under street or track time.

Since, I was trying to save a buck because the wagon is my daily driver, I was thinking Mintex. I heard these pads offer very low dust and a little bit more performance than the stocks. However, do you really think I should just spend the extra buck and get axxis pads? :???:

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
I'm hearing a lot of ho-hum reviews on the Mintex pads recently and rave ones about the Axxis MMs. I think the CB5 collective has spoken!

Also check out the GB thread for your Neuspeed Springs & Shocks! ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S_Klass said:
I'm hearing a lot of ho-hum reviews on the Mintex pads recently and rave ones about the Axxis MMs. I think the CB5 collective has spoken!

Also check out the GB thread for your Neuspeed Springs & Shocks! ;)
S_Klass you certainly have spoken. I'll look into the GB like, right now!:D

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
and it should be pretty quick delivery too, since you're in CA. mine spent less than 18 hrs in transit 8)
Yea... I got my stuff... went upstairs, and a few hours earlier he had posted the tracking infor for it :p

Springs go in tomorrow! Just need to figure out how to set them up :suspicio:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, if I ordered the Neuspeed Sofsports which lower it about an inch, and then added those adjustable Neuspeed/Bilsteins shocks, I could really lower my car if I wanted to, nearly 2 inches? :???:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
TripleA said:
So, if I ordered the Neuspeed Sofsports which lower it about an inch, and then added those adjustable Neuspeed/Bilsteins shocks, I could really lower my car if I wanted to, nearly 2 inches? :???:
i doubt it. if you had the sports, you could come really close. the shocks are only adjustable in the fronts.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
TripleA said:
i doubt it. if you had the sports, you could come really close. the shocks are only adjustable in the fronts.
Yea... only the front shocks are adjustable, if you are looking for a good drop, go for the regular sports, the sofsports only drop you .75 inches. I got my stuff put in today, it looks great, and drives like a dream! If you are looking for something a little less rough, maybe get the Koni shocks, and set them full soft, the Bilsteins can be harsh (but who cares :p)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
save some money, buy a used APR chip from the classifieds. Keep your options open, and you may find a great deal on a wett or neuspeed, but if you're not really going for peak performance than you shouldn't have a problem settling for a wett chip.
springs you can probably get a great deal from the classifieds also. I've seen a couple of recent packages of springs and struts, but that may be v6 springs. I'm not sure what fits the variant.
Springs and ECU aren't something that just go bad, so I'd say you'd be fine with buying them used. Biltsteins, get from here:
http://www.bimmerparts.com/item.wws?catpk=&sku=BILB5SP&qty=1&mfr=BIL&storepk=300033&price=348.00&cookieID=15M06PLG3&clientid=bimmerparts.com
These items I put on myself, with the neuspeed sport springs, and it was a suprisingly easy intallation.
There's threads on changing springs/struts, ecu, and brakes on here. I'm sure you could do the springs/struts in one day, and the brakes in another day. The ECU is very easy, and I can have them switched out in like 5 minutes, including the bolt in the back. Just trying to save you some money.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for providing me with information to reduce the costs of my parts and your opinions with your current setup. I will go ahead and start my research within the forum.

Thanks again....:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts