Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know very little about the suspension game but basicly it boils down to i have about 2000 bucks and i wanted to improve handeling ( partularly around corners

so basicly the questions stands what would you get for 2000 bucks and why

any suggestions and examples are gladly accepted

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
KW V.1 Coilovers - $1100
Neuspeed 28mm Rear Sway - $225
Chas Bar - $65 (manual trans) or $100 (tiptronic)

Total: $1390/$1425
-------------------------------------
Neuspeed Springs - $155
Koni Shocks - $435
Neuspeed 28mm Rear Sway - $225
Chas Bar - $65 (manual trans) or $100 (tiptronic)

Total: $880/$915

Just depends on what you want from your suspension. Coilovers are overkill sometimes if you're not going to fiddle with the height too much. You can save alot of money going the conventional spring/shock route.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i'd do:

neuspeed springs
koni yellows
chas bar
neuspeed rear sway
17" wheels/ performance tires

now depending on the rims you get, that'd get you over $2k, but if you're patient, you could find a deal for some in the classifieds.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i am a little nervous about lowering the car as it does snow here some times and i will have to drive my car weither its nice out or not ( the newspaper waits for no man)

so if i lowered it i would llike the ablity to raise it again

i was looking at something like this

the other thing is i love the smothness of my ride as it is right now ( im not looking for something really stiff on open highway

im not sure about waht the trade offs are for suspension but like i said i dont know much but im trying to figure it out

and its a manual not a tip ( but thanks for being very thuro)

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
The ECS sleeves are only for Bilstein shocks, this could be a budget route instead of full coilovers. But the sleeves are just for the fronts, the rear height can't be adjusted.

Also, better tires can help handling out as well. I don't know what your set up is, but assuming you're on 15's...a nice +1 upgrade to 16" wheels/tires would also help handling.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Do Neuspeed Soft-Sports instead....1.1" drop only...and really improves the handling with out killing your groud clearance and suspension travel. Same $155 price.

And a good light set of 16" or 17" Wheel and Tires will do wonders and still work very well all around. I do 70m a day, so I'm in a similar situation. Major drop and 18's or bigger and I'd be coning them in no time at all...and comfort on the freeway would suck. Instead, I'm doing Softsports..figure they're sorta like the BMW 3 series sport kit...a nice driveable drop. And I'm looking at some 15lb 17" wheels at edgeracing.com (Flik TDR's) My car will ride well, look good, and perform real nice when I need it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
crash893 said:
I know very little about the suspension game but basicly it boils down to i have about 2000 bucks and i wanted to improve handeling ( partularly around corners

so basicly the questions stands what would you get for 2000 bucks and why

any suggestions and examples are gladly accepted
If you are looking primarily to improve handling and are less concerned about lowering, due to bad roads/snow/etc., I'd suggest considering a pair of "OE" Sport springs with upgraded shocks. For the springs, something like Neuspeed Sports or H&R OE Sports. For shocks, get FK shocks, Bilstein Sports, or even Konis. Unless you Really like the look of the car low, why bother spending the extra money on a kit with an adjustable height.

Myself, I just got a set of H&R OE Sports and FK shocks from NGP Racing in Aberdeen, MD. HAndling is VERY important to me, and while I like the look of a lowered car I didn't want to have to do more suspension work before selling in a few years. This kit SIGNIFICANTLY improved handholding manners and handling, responsiveness, body roll, etc., while sttill maiintaining a comfortable ride.

Just my 2 cents. Cost installed, $600-$700 max.

If you want to do more, the next item I would consider is a rear sway bar. I would skip the Chas Bar, sicne it will reduce your ground clearance some. Also, on tires could you just replace your stock rubber with a slightly wider patch? That way you would not be risking nice wheels on bad roads. I'm running 205s instead of my stock 195s, since my last car taught me the futility of nice wheels in a city.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
if you like the ride quality now, and want a car that can go to stock height the coilovers are not for you. Atleast the KW coilovers are much stiffer than stock, very good in my oppinion, and they cannt be raised to stock ride height without damaginge the shocks, they are not ment to opporate at that range.

i would recommend maybe the VW 1B (is that correct) springs, it will give a modest lowering, and better handeling, then the sway bars that others have said.

this suspension is not as good as the coilovers for handeling, but it will have a softerride. then get some bilsien shocks or some other aftermarket shocks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.