Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys I hope I find you well.
Yesterday when I was driving with my aircon off I noticed kind of mist(Please see Attachment) coming from inside my window. I suspect that it could be a kind of aircon pipe or vacuum leak. Please can anyone shed a light what this could be.

Attachments

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
It is humid air condensing on the colder windshield. Was the aircon on just prior to that? Had you driven through an area that experienced a heavy rain after a hot sunny period? It happens to me in those conditions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi VAGguy
No my aircon was not on at all. The temperature was around 24 degrees Celsius without a sun spell before. The other thing that I did notice was that my aircon sometimes it blows warm air even if its off I don't know if its related.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
It won't be from a leaking AC, but it could be caused by a leaking heater core.

It should not blow any air in the AC is off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Tomvw
I will have a look at the heater core pipes this weekend.
What I have also noticed is I am loosing coolant. But what's fun is I could not see any evidence of a leak both looking from the top and underneath i wonder this lose of coolant could be related.

I will appreciate if someone could post of diagrams of cooling lines and flow of fluid .
Thank you

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
If the heater core leaking is causing that vapour, the leak will be in the heater/AC control unit in the cabin.
You would need to remove the dash to fix that, or you could bypass the heater core and have no heat.
I suggest you find the leak, and check for any mal-functioning controls before removing the dash.
Do you have manual or Climatronic controls ?
What year, engine code, and transmission ?

HVAC A/C
See this self diagnostic test. (Read second paragraph before using)

DASH REMOVAL
Have a look at this video to see what is involved in replacing the heater core etc

PZ;4148385 said:
The faster way to change the heater core is not difficult if you have 2 people. It cuts the time to less than 4 hours. I've done one that way, but without help it's pretty difficult to hold the dash.
New "Fast and Simple" Heater Core DIY
2002GLXV6;3942298 said:
I bet this is the way the factory installed the dash assembly!
[video=youtube;J40bceY8mF0]
"]
Heater core replacement (Manual controls).

DIY: BLEEDING COOLING SYSTEM and HEATER CORE FLUSH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts