Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
i second Nozawa. Def one of the best traditional style sushi. My other fav is Asenabo, which is also in studio city on Ventura. IMO, they are really good with creative non-traditional sushi. Their seared tuna is to die for, and their sashimi is top notch (in the past, they even refused to serve sushi period).

Whichever place you go, be sure to order the 'Omakase', which is usually what the chef recommends for the day. Just remember to tell him what you don't like (ie-sea urchin, clam, geoduck, japanese mackarel, etc). Sitting at the sushi bar, or so I've been told, usually also gets you slightly better fish.

Los Angeles is def one of the best (if not 'the best') place for sushi in N. America. Have fun! :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
RM,
if you're passing on the uni and the giant clam you're missing out...
Nozawa has earned the reputation of being the sushi chef equivilant of the soup-nazi. Worth it for the fresh fish tho'.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
And LA is possibly the MOST affordable....prices in NY, London, and pretty much everywhere else is OFF THE WALL. Nobu in LA is reasonable when compared against prices in NY and London.

and sitting at the sushi bar affords you the opportunity to try more interesting stuff, one piece at a time, rather than having to order everything upfront. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Jettahead - Lol, I don't mind sea urchin/uni if it's really fresh. I've never had bad uni to date, but I know a lot of ppl who seem particularly aversive to it. They say when it's not fresh, the flavor is really horrible.

I had recently had geoduck and clam at some traditional sushi place my brother recommended in Hollywood (can't remember the name). Most of the usual stuff like toro/fatty tuna and hamachi/ yellowtail was pretty good, but the clam and geoduck seemed particularly fishy and strong. I guess either it's an aquired taste, and/or it's not my cup of tea.

Haha, if you think Nozawa is bad, you should check out Sasabune in Santa Monica. I've never tried it myslef, but I heard from some of my friends that the owner/chef is notorious for bieng a jerk. The only place I really dislike for very bad service is the junk-food sushi place 'Katsuya' in studio city. Can't understand why that place is always so crowded? Actually I've never really felt uncomfy at Nozawa. The place feels kinda modest, but the staff and chef did seem friendly. Perhaps I should suggest the "rock and roll" next time :p

Haven't been checking out sushi places recently as much as I would like though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
ronaldmcdonald
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing