Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wondering what replacement headlights did you use and how satistisfied are you?

My OEM headlights lasted for 6 years. I replaced it with Silverstar last year, which lasted only 1 year. I am very happy with SilverStar, except for the very short life span. I think I'll go back to OEM next time.

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
I have H7 bulbs. I got them at AutoZone. You can get them from any Wal-Mart or auto parts store.

I would disable my DRL but they have been proven to reduce accidents.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
maybe you should disable your drl's. that'll add much extra life to them. and it only takes 2 mins to do it.
we are talking about bulbs,not the whole headlight ......anyway thats what everyone says,.anyway just as a comparison i put a euro switch in and pulled relay 173 on my passat ,at appx.the same time i replaced one of the drls on my other (wifes)passat......her drl,s are still working!!!!!!!!!! over a year or more ago,go figure

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
XENONMATCH.........there really is no "like" other. It is superior to silverstars, as my fogs are extremely more white and bright than my headlights.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Why disconnect your DRL

My insurance company actually give a discounts for DRL. If thats the case, the actualaries proved that DRL will reduce accidents. So, the annual light bulb change may not be such a big deal for safety.

I use Osram silver star from Powerbulbs. My understanding is these are the brighter european type and do not have the blue tips that sylvania has which may be the reason why sylvanias has a history of burning out quickly. Probably about the same price.

I wouldnt disconnect DRL just to extend bulbs. You might as well follow the same logic and drive in the dark to conserve bulb life.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I wouldnt disconnect DRL just to extend bulbs. You might as well follow the same logic and drive in the dark to conserve bulb life.
Many of us disconnect our DRL's but run our fogs/city lights only (with Euroswitch) to act as DRL's. I like the abilty to kill all lights if required and since I always drive with lights on in some form or another my safety is never compromised.

·
Registered
223 Posts
my oem lasted 3years. then i went to hyper white off ebay, it lasted a few months. now silverstar very pleased.
they are not as white as my zenon foglight bulb from Meijers years ago. i wish, i could find the zenon headlight bulb.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Philips Vision Plus is what replaced my OEM bulbs with. The OEMS kept burning out every 4-6 months. I put in the Philips and disabled the drls. Not a burned bulb now for 4 years. Note that their light is whiter than the OEM's, so if you care, the hi-beams' light won't match.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Philips Vision Plus is what replaced my OEM bulbs with. The OEMS kept burning out every 4-6 months. I put in the Philips and disabled the drls. Not a burned bulb now for 4 years. Note that their light is whiter than the OEM's, so if you care, the hi-beams' light won't match.
I did the same as him but for high & lows ... & like leadfoot I put in a Euro switchand disabled the DRL and I run the fogs as DRL .. H3s are cheap.. and a way easier to change. I too like the safety of some form of DRL.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
I didn't wait for the burnouts. I first got a HID Conversion Kit then sold that for a used pair of Hella OEM HID's. I think the temperature of the Hella units were just a tad cooler than conversion kit but still much much better than halogen.

On a somewhat related note, I just purchase a pair of Sylvania "Silverstar Ultra's" for my wife's Toyota Highlander. The "white" light this thing puts out is on par with my Hella's now. So much better than the Halogens she had. They have a barely perceptable blue to it which makes sense since it's coated with a light blue on each bulb. They're about $50 but if they last more than a year, I think she'll agree to buying a 2nd set. She loves them.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
When running Halogens - used the Napa Green Lights.

Now using Ecode Projectors with an X5 HID KIT 6K bulbs.

On a somewhat related note, I just purchase a pair of Sylvania "Silverstar Ultra's" for my wife's Toyota Highlander. The "white" light this thing puts out is on par with my Hella's now. So much better than the Halogens she had. They have a barely perceptable blue to it which makes sense since it's coated with a light blue on each bulb. They're about $50 but if they last more than a year, I think she'll agree to buying a 2nd set. She loves them.
Herman - Way to go Moddin' the wife's ride!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Euro-spec OE bi-Xenon assemblies- the best replacements available. :thumbup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Philips Vision Plus bulbs are wonderful, hard to find in the states but can be found all over ebay.
I just got a pair from R&S Strauss in NY about an hour ago. I was wondering how they are since I hadn't heard of the before I bought them. Now that I've heard they are good I can't wait to get them in. I had no idea they were hard to get. There were plenty there where I bought mine. In fact my intention was to buy the standard bulbs but they are sold individually for 14.99. When I saw the VisionPlus sold in pairs for 24.99 I thought I may as well get those since I need 2 bulbs and at the same time give my car a headlight upgrade.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I'm still running on my original set, car is just about three years old. (I assume they're original, I've only had the car about a year, but the previous owner kept excellent documentation so I assume if he'd changed them I'd know.)

I keep putting of switching them out and dispite what everyone here says about them, I'll probably try Silverstars out here soon. I figure instead of just going by what everyone else here says I should learn for myself ;)

I'll probably do the fogs to as I use them pretty much all the time at night for "effect" -- may put some yellow ones down there though.

·
Superbad
1,456 Posts
i replaced my OEM's with PIAA Xtreme White Plus for my B5. disabled DRL and no FOGS. soon to convert to a McCullough 6k Kit when Santa delivers my FK Black on Black Angel Eyes :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts