Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving down Lexington Avenue yesterday ... following a Lincoln Navigator for about 3-4 miles. The Navigator had been a bit aggressive -- lots of switching lanes, riding bumpers, etc.

By now, I'm in the right hand lane and following about 3 or so car lengths behind the Navigator. We're pretty much matching speed of the traffic around us (about 5 -10 mph over the limit). All of a sudden, the Navigator swerves left ... no brake lights, no signal, and squeezing in a fairly small gap in traffic.

And right ahead of me are about seven cars -- all at a complete and total stop! Because of the size of the Navigator and the road layout, my vision of traffic ahead in our lane had been completely blocked.

Fortunately, I'd started to hit the brakes when he swerved because I thought the car he cut off might come over to my lane. Hitting the brakes turned into slamming the brakes and a bit of tire squeal. The poor lady ahead of me was watching in her rear view mirror and a bit freaked.

Think I'll increase the distance a tad bit more next time I'm behind one of those lousy SUVs.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Re: Surprise from the Lincoln Navigator (MN Snowman)

Sounds like you may want to increase you distance a LOT behind SUVS and a little behind all cars...3 second rule...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Surprise from the Lincoln Navigator (duandcc)

Actually, I think I was following the 3-second rule in this case (I generally do).

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Surprise from the Lincoln Navigator (passaturbonium)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>BTW it would've been his fault cause he cut you off!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it would have been my fault ... he didn't cut me off. Just didn't give me any advance notice of any problem ahead. He did cut off the driver in the left lane.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts