1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI for anybody that wants one cheap. Click on the link for more info:
Surplus Computers :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW, I see now that they are also available on ebay for $29.99...but you have to tack on $6.95 for shipping, so it works out about the same.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I've heard they are not accurate, never used one myself, just from what I used to hear on an SVT board I was on for along time few years back. Fun to play with for sure.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
D.Passat00 said:
how accurate are these? within 10% at least?
I don't think they're terribly accurate for doing vehicle-to-vehicle comparisons; they're better for before-and-after comparisons when doing performance mods. Accuracy can vary based on mounting position, suspension setup and other variables.
...but for the price, it's a cheap toy for your car. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I ordered the one on ebay during my lunch hour Wednesday. About $36 including shipping...and it was waiting for me when I got home Friday! :thumbup: They've got about 60 left (unless they're sitting on a bunch more) so if you've been debating whether to get one or not, now's the time to get one.

Enough typing for now...time to go play! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
They're actually pretty accurate all around. Just make sure the winds are low when you're testing, and that you're on a flat surface. The newer ones can even measure peak hp/tq if you enter your vehicle weight accurately.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, the one I got does HP, though I don't recall if it does torque. I did get a chance to try a couple of runs today...

My first 0-60 run was lackluster, 9.14 seconds if I recall correctly (it IS a Tip, after all). Time for some tuing and a new set of sparkplugs.
My 60-0 braking was a none-too-shabby 118' thanks to the PBR/Axxis Deluxe pads and slotted rotors from S_Klass' GB (and that was without having a decent bit of heat in the brakes).

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
psst, your stopping distance has almost nothing to do with your brake hardware, and almost everything to do with your tire compound. ;)

·
Registered
487 Posts
stealthx32 said:
psst, your stopping distance has almost nothing to do with your brake hardware, and almost everything to do with your tire compound. ;)
... width and pressure. If the surface isn't smooth then unsprung weight, springs and shocks are important too.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stealthx32 said:
Just showing my ignorance, huh?
In my own defense (and to save face), my car at least seems to stop quicker, smoother and with less pedal pressure once the brakes (and tires, I guess) are warmed up than when they're cold. Could this be an indication that I didn't bed them in correctly? I dunno...maybe I'm just a bit nervous about slamming down on cold rotors, so I subconciously don't brake as hard. :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts