Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

You know the best thing about a Passat? It can swallow a 7'2" surfboard just by folding down the rear seats, thats what........ :)

Occasionally though I need to take 3 surfboards with people in my car. I do not want to get a Thule or Yakima rack..... which makes me wonder about softracks.......... anyone use them? Do they scratch up the roof of your car?

Let me know please.........

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I used soft racks a few times on my previous Japanese economy cars. They wore the paint, and even dented the roof. When I bought the Passat, I bought oem racks. The Passat is more solidly built, so may not dent. Why don't you want hard racks?
By the way, my B5.5 can fit two 10'0''s on the passenger side with the front seat laid back, from trunk to on top of the dash; or two 9`0"s without using the dash; either way 1/2 the back seat can be up at the same time so a passenger can ride in the back.
It can also fit three people and two or three (depending on thickness and fin configuration) short boards by folding the larger half of the back seat down, turning the boards on their rails and sliding them up between the front seats. :cool:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only surf in the summer and don't want hard racks because of the windnoise, plus I like the looks of the Passat without racks.

Wearing the paint, yes I can see that! I saw a Passat this morning with softracks and a longboard..........

1 - 3 of 3 Posts