Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone either done this or looked into it? I am getting a custom exhaust done around April/May, and my "friend" (I say that because he was just evil in this suggestion) suggested that while it was on the lift....Anyway, you get the idea. Aside from the exhaust, I want to get a new chip, but am having trouble finding anyone who makes one for a 2002 Passat W8, just the 2003. I asked GIAC, but never recieved an answer as to whether the 2002 and 2003 W8 were functionally the same. I plan on having a custom cold-air intake (can't find any Off the Shelf for this one either) and the exhaust all done at once, and like the man said, while it was on the lift....

So, in short, I need a good performance chip, suggestions on a S-Charger , and a possible cold-air set. I also want to debadge the entire vehicle and replace the front grill with something more subtle and sub-dued. I will get to the suspension and wheels probably sometime in Sept/Oct (when the slush fund has time to refill) :lol:

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
A supercharger is going to have to be a custom job. There aren't enough W8 engines out there to make developing a kit worthwhile to most tuners.

Also, as I understand it, there's next to zero room in the W8 Passat engine bay. Best of luck with that aspect of it as well.

That said, enough money will overcome both of those hurdles.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
:) Ahhhhhh, another inquiry about forced induction on a W8. If you have the R&D $$$$$$ and a willing tuner, you might be able to convince a shop to mimic the Bentley Continental GT setup on a W8 platform. The cost of doing such a one-off project would be very high (est. $50,000US), and most tuners would stray away because of the limited availability of W8 engines. Also, I never could understand how a person could drop that on tuning when you could just buy a car stock that's faster?? Why add forced induction to a W8 when you could buy an M5, E55, or used RS6 and crush it for less overall cost?!?

Now Matrix Integrated was working on a Cold-Air Intake for the W8 Passats, but I'm not sure if they have completed testing on them. Their S4 CAI was ahead on their R&D list, and a few owners expressed some interest on Vortex. Also give them a call about GIAC ECU mapping for your 2002 W8. Upsolute has an ECU program for the 2002 W8's as well, so that's an alternative if nothing is available from GIAC.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
does it have the same motor as a t-reg?
if so u might be able to use this
G4 Supercharger System (in development – Spring 2006) (2000-2006) 450 est HP :thumbup:

·
Registered
602 Posts
1.8Tttturbo said:
i agree with ^^

get chipped, drop in a nice filter, and slap on some magnaflows and you'll be straight.

And get the suspension dialed in...Then you'll be straight and LOW!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Gelroos said:
suggested that while it was on the lift....Anyway, you get the idea.

and the exhaust all done at once, and like the man said, while it was on the lift....
Okay, I give up.........what happens on the lift?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the Lift

First off, thanks to all of you for taking my n00bish questions and then turning them into suggestions that might actually work :bowdown:

What my "friend" actually said was "Ya' know, we could do almost anything once we have it up on the lift and you already know you have to drive another vehicle, why don'tcha ask if it is possible to add some sort of blower to this"

Upon hearing this I immediately came here and posted the original question. I am lucky enough to be able to have a "slush fund", although I don't know if I am ready to drop 50K JUST to add a S-Charger...yet. As for the why? I've been modding and DIY since I was 16, I make my own amplifiers and speakers (audiophile grade home Hi-Fi), LCD Projectors, I once dropped a 4.0L V8 into a 1966 MGB.

I purchased this vehicle with the expressed purpose of modding it. I also plan on replacing the double-DIN monsoon head unit w/ a 7" touch LCD to control a Linux PC that will in turn feed the sound system. This way I can add bluetooth, WiFi, Internet access (thru my bluetooth phone or WiFi), GPS, and I would like to be able to log all of the engine data during run time, then when I get home upload it all to my home PC for analysis. I know it is kinda ambitious, but I do believe that the W8 is an ideal platform to do this to.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Why waste your money on a supercharger for the W8. The thing is already a beast...make it look nice and do some stuff to make the car look great, as it already does, and spend 50k on a real muscle car if you want one...i.e. Porsche.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
is there even room in the engine bay to handlethis in any practical manner?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gelroos said:
... I want to get a new chip, but am having trouble finding anyone who makes one for a 2002 Passat W8, just the 2003. I asked GIAC, but never recieved an answer as to whether the 2002 and 2003 W8 were functionally the same.
Yes, the GIAC program works with the 2002 W8. The ECU engine codes are the same between the two model years but for some reason they only list the 2003 model year.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmm to dream... I would love to try to install a twin turbo kit... 2 smaller KKK27 turbos may fit with inter wastegates.May have to move certain item, but it would be sick.. you could tune it to make at least 600 HPAWD six speed......... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh orgasm

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Tried to get HPA to use mine for a twin turbo set up but they're not interested in it. I guess it was worth the $$$ to develop a kit for the 5000 R32's out there tho ... :hmmm:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
VWGUY4EVER said:
Tried to get HPA to use mine for a twin turbo set up but they're not interested in it. I guess it was worth the $$$ to develop a kit for the 5000 R32's out there tho ... :hmmm:
yeah, but the market for a SC'd/tt R32 is way higher than the market for an SC'd W8.

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
MP33dave said:
Why waste your money on a supercharger for the W8. The thing is already a beast...make it look nice and do some stuff to make the car look great, as it already does, and spend 50k on a real muscle car if you want one...i.e. Porsche.
yea, why would anyone want more hp our of their cars? while we are at it, why are we on this forum? certainly not because one is entertaining the idea that this can be achieved from a slush fund.

sorry, the w8 is nice but it is hardly a beast. that's why if you can tune it why not?

keyword if (used in context of without requiring to spend a fortune, i.e. 5k vs 50k)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Gelroos said:
What my "friend" actually said was "Ya' know, we could do almost anything once we have it up on the lift and you already know you have to drive another vehicle, why don'tcha ask if it is possible to add some sort of blower to this" <snip> As for the why? I've been modding and DIY since I was 16,<snip>I purchased this vehicle with the expressed purpose of modding it.
The "straightforward" route is going to require lots dyno time, and lots of software & hardware trial-and-error.

Since this is a "project car", you may want to consider starting off by replacing the entire engine management system with a standalone (i.e. easily tuneable) system. Then you can start adding forced induction in "baby steps" while tweaking the engine management at the same time.

One or two? You have two heads on the W8 -- do you want to "boost" each separately, or in a combined fashion?

Due to size restrictions, you may want to consider "non-traditional" forced induction layouts... for example, supercharger(s) relocated away from the engine block.

One other piece of advice... pick up a copy of "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
:bowdown: I say go for it. anything and everything you can do to the car is awesome. i realize that yes. you don't have many options when it comes to a rarer make of automobile like the W8. yes, i agree, it does have quite the base to it and is a nice and probably fast car right off the lot.

i'm a very firm beliver in making your ride all your own. and i'm very much into rarety on vehicles like a W8, or upgrading the turbo's on a 2.7 A6, or going wild on a C230 kompressor.

i'm 20 years old and i bury myself in books and magazines everyday of my life. if it has something about a car written on it, i'm into it. so i can say i've heard my ups and downs on the W8. crap out the tranny, stuff about the crankshafts, the tourque converters...yadda yadda yadda. it sounds like you got some big plans ahead for this thing. bottom line = more power to ya man.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone either done this or looked into it? I am getting a custom exhaust done around April/May, and my "friend" (I say that because he was just evil in this suggestion) suggested that while it was on the lift....Anyway, you get the idea. Aside from the exhaust, I want to get a new chip, but am having trouble finding anyone who makes one for a 2002 Passat W8, just the 2003. I asked GIAC, but never recieved an answer as to whether the 2002 and 2003 W8 were functionally the same. I plan on having a custom cold-air intake (can't find any Off the Shelf for this one either) and the exhaust all done at once, and like the man said, while it was on the lift....

So, in short, I need a good performance chip, suggestions on a S-Charger , and a possible cold-air set. I also want to debadge the entire vehicle and replace the front grill with something more subtle and sub-dued. I will get to the suspension and wheels probably sometime in Sept/Oct (when the slush fund has time to refill) :lol:
to answer your question 2002-2005 W8's are basically the same aside from options they're all the same. instead of a chip get ross-tech software and tweek it yourself. i have a 2002 and at 100k miles on it i've gone 135 mph effortlessly. yes it's a little slow off the line but it's seriously front heavy. findinding a super charger will be difficult. in the US no one will give up technical data on the engine and the only place a found a super charger wouldn't give any info on specs etc. ive tried for 3 years to find a charger for my 02 and come up empty. now the Audi 4.2L can be supercharged and ive found someone that sells them but they refuse to give me any data on it. my thinking is the 4.0 and the 4.2L are the same block just different bores. Audi/VW are one in the same outside of electrical connector configuration. that is Audi has rounded connectors where as VW has boxier right angles on their electrical connectors. everything else is pretty much the same. Ive used Audi parts on my W8 and anything 1999-2005 Audi engine wise and some electrical works on the W8's. I hope that helps oh on your exhaust use at least 3" pipe and do away with the resonator. Also because the CAT's are part of the manifolds it's going to be hard finding anything that excludes them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts