Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey People,

This is my first post :nervous: .I am a college student and I have had my 98 V6 for a year now. I was wondering if I should go through the trouble of saving up + installing + taking care of a supercharger. I was wondering if some of you could tell me some experiences (hopefully good) with supercharging your passat.

Thanks

P.S. Sorry 1.8T guys, I'll make sure my next post includes you too:angel:

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Yes. The PES supercharger is a very good system.
You do need to amke sure your car is in absolutley top notch shape before you do it though.
Also, it will void any warranties you have.

·
Registered
952 Posts
To maximize the SC you'll probably want headers and exhaust too. And air intake, and new clutch (if applicable). The costs will start to escalate, and being a college student, how much can you save? You're looking at $3k easy...

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
To maximize the SC you'll probably want headers and exhaust too. And air intake, and new clutch (if applicable). The costs will start to escalate, and being a college student, how much can you save? You're looking at $3k easy...
you dont really need a new clutch....it is a good upgrade but dont NEED it.

exhaust is ok , headers you wont need...you can get them..but wont make much diff for the horsepower per Dollar (bang for the buck so to speak)....
intake helps somewhat with throttle response...

but overall yes the supercharger is worth it.'

my car has been charged for 1600 miles or so..and LOVE it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
i'm basing the need for a new clutch on the fact that's its a used '98. You never know how the person drove it before (unless it was your pops or mom). The stock clutch will handle 300 hp, but if it's worn, it won't last too long once you start zipping along with that SC

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately I have a Tiptronic :( my mom bought me the car as a combination of presents and she doesn't know how to drive stick and she knew she would drive it sometimes. I am currently trying to teach her stick because I want a manual car really bad but we'll see how that goes:whistle:
Do you guys get thrown back in your seat when you floor it? How does it feel when it's superchargered?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Unfortunately I have a Tiptronic :( my mom bought me the car as a combination of presents and she doesn't know how to drive stick and she knew she would drive it sometimes. I am currently trying to teach her stick because I want a manual car really bad but we'll see how that goes:whistle:
Do you guys get thrown back in your seat when you floor it? How does it feel when it's superchargered?
it feels faster..

dont get suckered into thinking you will get slammed back in your seat.

The supercharger is very LINEAR..the power band is wide but it climbs with rpm (obviously since the charger is belt driven)
it is a diff feel than a turbocharged car (which i have one also audi a4 with ko4)

my audi feels quicker off the line..but from a 60 mph highway roll the passat will leave it by 3-4 cars. all the way up to 140+

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
milage on car? you might also consider tb/wp job when you do the g2 install. it's a good kit and will most likely outlast your car. check scaudi.com for more info.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
As far as exhaust goes - I thought the consensus was that the SC really didn't benefit greatly from the reduction in back pressure?
EvoMS intake is around 270.00, and easy to self install.
Headers are over 1,000.00 (SuperSprint) and labor intensive to install - the easiest way is to pull the engine, though loosening the mounts, jacking, and working from the top and bottom can get it too. I think that is how Nenad did the headers on his car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to thank you guys for welcoming me into the forums and giving me some good info on supercharging ( I have joined scaudi ). My car has 100K on it, but it has been kept in really good shape, and I am continuing to keep it in good shape (maintenance). The only thing I would want to do before I get the supercharger is but on a new timing belt. Otherwise the car has no problems and I am looking forward to supercharging it oneday.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You have made a good move by joining scaudi (I was registered on there as "30valvejunkie", but since I went W8 I don't visit at all).
There are alot of people well versed on the system and everything involved with modifying it/ keeping it running there.
I had planned on a lightweight stock o.d. crank pulley from ECS Tuning (when I did TB at 60k, and deleted UR udp set in preparation for SC) and a 2.90" SC pulley for additional boost (pulleyboys.com).
When you are ready, assuming you purchase a new kit from PES, work them for free shipping and a comped Tip chip. I got them to commit to that.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Dude, at 100K, you wnt to reaplce the WP and TB now
x12434

yes like not NOW..like yesterday.

let me put it to you this way..replace that stuff or else you may be spending your supercharger money on a new engine/car.

basically, you are driving/running on borrowed time.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
x12434

yes like not NOW..like yesterday.

let me put it to you this way..replace that stuff or else you may be spending your supercharger money on a new engine/car.

basically, you are driving/running on borrowed time.
Yeah, you wanted to do that at 60K or at least 75k

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the concern guys :lol: they were already replaced at 60K along wit the front suspension, but I want to make sure I replace them again before I supercharge, which means saving up even more $$$:thumbdown Have you guys faced any big problems yourselves after supercharging?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Thanks for the concern guys :lol: they were already replaced at 60K along wit the front suspension, but I want to make sure I replace them again before I supercharge, which means saving up even more $$$:thumbdown Have you guys faced any big problems yourselves after supercharging?
I ahve not SC, buta review of SC audi revieals few major issues.
A few minor TIP issues on a small minory of cars.
also, look for ebay sales from PES (you can tell by sellers location), save over $1000. Not very common, but check ebay every once in a while.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
mpg?...haha.
i really dont keep track of that..but honestly...with the smaller 2.9...i prob average 15-17 mpg.

it is shitty..but the fun factor makes up for it:)

..i have 5 gallons of 109 octane sitting in the garage..i think this weekend will be fun:lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow that bad? I think I remember reading it was only supposed to go down 1 MPG city but no on Highway. Is it bc of that pulley?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts