Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may sound like the stupidest newbie question, but how do you know if you have b5 or b5.5? i have a 2001 passat glx v6??

--aaron

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Hey Aaron, welcome.

First, a technicality -- all Passats from 1997.5 to 2005 are considered to be B5's. Because the chassis and engines are the same, they're essentially the same car.

Those of us at Club B5/Passatworld began using the designation B5.5 on the "facelifted" Passats that started with the 2001.5 model year, simply to distinguish which cosmetic version of the Passat we're referring to.

That's it. Hope that answers your question.

Andy

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
rothfussa said:
this may sound like the stupidest newbie question, but how do you know if you have b5 or b5.5? i have a 2001 passat glx v6??

--aaron
If you have any chrome on your car it's a B5.5 or what would be a 2001.5 model or later. There are other dead give aways but that's a simple one to start with. Below is a picture of my car which is a 2002 B5.5. Notice the chrome on the door strips, around the window, and the grill.

·
Registered
897 Posts
the tail lights are the giveaway as well as the front grill with chrone and the steep raked hood. In Europe not all Passats (base S ) had chrome rub strips and decor, they had it in black instead. Only the window surrounds had the chrome. While other like the SE, Highline, Sport and V range had all the chrome. In the US all Passats from the GL to the W8 had chrome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts