Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Vdub and the sunroof opens VERY SLOWLY and sometimes gets stuck in the middle or if it does open it does close and its pissin me off :mad: cuz i have tired to use WD40 on the track and thats didnt help and i used petoralium jelly and that didnt help. I really dont want to go to the dearlership cuz there assholes and help would be nice ?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Clean out that other stuff. Use some grease. "Sliding/tilting roof with glass panel [All B5] ... Carrier unit ... if required, guide channels are to be greased with special grease G 000 450 02 only, otherwise correct operation cannot be guaranteed." -Bentley'

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ja, maybe the switch might be what's causing it. If it is, might as well get the so talked about W8 sunroof switch :) .

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
check for loose contacts in the switch wiring. That damn sheet metal hatch under the glass sunroof vibrates so much, it could do anything to the switch or motor right under it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Get that "petroleum jelly" out of there :nervous: . I've got to check on the label where it says to "USE FOR SUNROOF LUBRICATION".

Motor probably is on it's way out. If it hasn't or hadn't received the proper lubrication and has been opening and closing dry (or with very little lubrication), then the motor could be taking a beating.

Also WD40 isn't a great (or good IMO) lubricant. If you want to take that rusty bolt or nut off of something, then it's the bomb. Get the right lubricant.

·
Registered
352 Posts
RachaPassat said:
Motor probably is on it's way out. If it hasn't or hadn't received the proper lubrication and has been opening and closing dry (or with very little lubrication), then the motor could be taking a beating.
Is there some preventive maintenance that can be done for the sunroof? I have a 98 and mine works fine but I am getting nervous that the cables could snap or motor fail, as i've read more stories of that lately.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
dgabler
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing