Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, there has been an epedemic of front sunroof drain hoses not draining due to the little anti-crud flap sticking shut.

To prevent this, open your driver's door. There is a black rubber thing in the hinge area that flattens out on the end, and points downward. Squeeze this thing with your fingers and make sure the flat part opens up.

Do the same thing on the passenger side.

If it makes you feel better, either snip the flat part off with a scissor, poke a hole in it, or put some silicone slickum between the flaps to keep them from sticking.

Do the same for the passenger side.

The rears cannot really be messed with easily, and I've yet to see a problem with one anyway.

Such a simple thing, but man does it ever save some heartache.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I always wondered what those were for .. I clean in there all the time and always squeeze them but didn't know they were the roof drains.

TY Sharky :bow:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I didn't realize the flat part was a flap (I looked at it and was like, "hmm...hose comes to an end...okeydokey..." :???:) Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I will check it out. Thanks Sharky

Maybe its better to have pictures if ever this post gets moved on the Info forum

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
A couple of quick squeezes - I felt like I was milking my car! Flaps seemed clear, but worth keeping an eye on them.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Sharky said:
Altair 4 said:
.... Flaps seemed clear......
Just remember, it isn't that they get clogged, its that they stick shut.
10-4. I'll just add this routine to my "things to do when washing the car" list. Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Son of a Monkey! I WISH I had known that yesterday before I got two inches of water on the passenger side of my car. As predicted, I pressed on the passenger side tube and a cup or so of water drained out. It must have been full.

Can someone tell me: Does this mean that the sunroof is expected to take on water but that it's supposed to drain out via these tubes?

I can only imagine what VW was thinking when they don't tell you this when they sell you a car. They REALLy have to give you a super detailed tour of the car before you drive it away.

1000 "thank you"s

-Brad

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
methane said:
Can someone tell me: Does this mean that the sunroof is expected to take on water but that it's supposed to drain out via these tubes?
Yes.

The felt seal around the glass of the sunroof is there only to slow the water down on the way to the big drip tray that surrounds the opening. The water collects in the tray and drains out of whatever drain hose is closest.

....which is why having drain hoses that actually drain are so important.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The sunroofs on any model car are designed to leak and drain water, they are not waterproof, which is why in winter conditions you must not let a pile of snow sit on the roof of your car. If the temperature starts to warm up the snow will melt on the car and drain into the hoses, if it freezes again at night the hoses will freeze, any remaining snow on the car will thaw the next day and have nowhere to go but to come into the car as it melts, so if you leave the car outside, dont let it sit with snow piled up on top especially if you are starting into a warming spell.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IDriveB5 said:
thanks sharkman.

while we are on the subject of sunrooves, what should we lubricate the track with?
VW is very specific for the lubricant. It is part number G 000 450 02. It is all I will use.

When you lube them, get some Q-Tips and clean as much of the old lubricant out of the tracks as you can, along with the dirt and grit and whatever else is in there.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Wow, thanks for the reminder and part # Sharky. I meant to ask you about the stupid little end caps, mine used to stick shut fairly regularly, and I wondered if it was just me. I still wonder if it's pollen, or just random crud that makes them stick shut. I wound up putting nylon posts (used for keeping ICs in their anti-static tubes) in the flaps to keep them open.

I once again have a drainage problem. It's not the flaps sticking, it must be either a detached drain tube at the sunroof, or perhaps a damaged tube (possibly due to freeze/thaw cycles).

If I pour some water into the drain tray, I get a nice pour from the drain cap, but I also get a fair amount working its way down the A pillar, and then to the back footwell via the door frames. I've verified that the drain tube is well-fastened to the rubber drain cap piece.

How difficult is it to get to the drain tube attachment point in the A pillar? (passenger side). Is there access under the headliner, or is the first step "remove the sunroof rails"?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.