Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the sunroof air deflector and noticed a significant difference in air sound level?

Thanks,

Alric

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have one that I installed and used it for about 2 days. It was a pain in the arse to install and I didn't really notice much difference, so I took it off. Having said that, if anyone is interested in a sunroof deflector (cheap) that used for 2 days, drop me a PM.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had one put on at purchase of my B5, and I love it. My wife didn't get one on her B5 Variant, and there was noticeable droning at certain speeds with the sunroof open. You had to do a variety of open windows, speeds to get rid of it. Since I've experienced both, I'd have to say I love it!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I installed a Benevento brand deflector on my variant. I love it! It installs with two clips and threaded fasteners so it can be removed if needed. It significantly reduced the wind buffet and noise. With the roof open, I can travel down the highway at 65 mph and still hear the radio (so long as I'm not passing a semi)! It was well worth the price ( I think I paid around $65).

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
jaero said:
I installed a Benevento brand deflector on my variant. I love it! It installs with two clips and threaded fasteners so it can be removed if needed. It significantly reduced the wind buffet and noise. With the roof open, I can travel down the highway at 65 mph and still hear the radio (so long as I'm not passing a semi)! It was well worth the price ( I think I paid around $65).
Where/from whow did you get this?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had one on my old Jetta and did not feel that it made much difference. As stated above if I crack one of the rear windows the buffeting is reduced more than the deflector ever did.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I've had mine on for about 18 or 19 months now.

It's nice to have if you like driving with the sunroof open on the highway at 55MPH or higher. With the sunroof wide open, there's no buffeting at all. HOWEVER, there's a zone (something like 25-35 MPH) where if you have the sunroof wide open, you get a nasty buffet...you actually have to go back to the "anti-buffet" position on the sunroof dial.

So, bottom-line: get it if you do a lot of highway driving with the sunroof open; don't bother if you do a lot of in-town/city driving with the sunroof open.

Andy

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Feilo said:
Where/from whow did you get this?
This goes back a long way... I ordered it from an online auto accessories supplier but I can't recall the exact site. Shop around, many people carry the Benevento line. Be aware that these are custom sized for each car model so you will have to specify that you have a B5.

I've had the same experience as AJChenMPH. If the sunroof is fully open there is a range of speeds around 25-35 mph where I still get some buffet. It goes away at highway speed or if the sunroof is only open to the anti-buffet (large dot on the selector) setting.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
yep. i got one for free and i tried it, not thinking i would like the looks of it. after a week or so it grew on me and i love it now. its great on the highway, being a smoker i can open the roof back a few inches and it sucks the ash right out and doesnt make a mess in the car. with the roof all the way open i dont notice a huge difference in wind but i do notice noise is greatly reduced. easily removable if you dont like it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
no sunroof on my b5, but i put a deflector on my 93 civic si hatchback. i loved it. really reduced the buffeting (wasting away again in margaritaville....never mind).

i realize that the aero qualities of different cars will vary, but i was happy with the results on my si....for whatever that's worth....if anything.

OUT.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I had it on my last car and I really liked it.
You could partially open the sunroof when it's raining and you won't get any water in the car. It also reduces wind and buffering noise.

I don't have one on my Passat because I like to keep the look really clean and I rarely open the roof these days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts