Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.racegas.com/gt100locals/default.asp

here's a locator tool to see if there's a sunoco station that carries street-legal 100 octane fuel. apparently theres one about 10 minutes from me.

now i have a newb question. theres been a lot of talk about whether its ok to sometimes use regular fuel in our cars. i always use premium in my '02 1.8t, but what would happen if i filled a tank of 100 octane once in a while. would it harm my stock engine at all? would i notice a change in performance? im kinda clueless when it comes to stuff like this, so TIA :)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I don't claim to be an expert, but here is my take.

I doubt any damage would ocure. As for change in performance, there might be a measurable change, but i doubt you could feel it.

You would probably need a 100 octane program from APR ect... to really get maxium potiential.

-Nick

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
No damage would occur since it is unleaded and street legal. But running it everyonce in awhile would probobly do more bad than good. See, the benifit of running higher octane is that the car can advance the timing a bit, but it generally requiers about a tank full of fuel for the car to adjust. Just as it was getting used to having higher octane you would be putting regualr premium in it, thus causeing the car to have to retard timing so as not to ping.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
come on...a tank to "learn" what's in there? my recollection of modern knock-sensored cars is that they always try to run as advanced timeing as possible, right on the line of knock and no-knock. the electronic controls should be handling this stuff real-time, i'm not so sure that ignition timing is AS "adaptive" as modern-day auto trannies are with the so-called fuzzy logic. but hey...i've been wrong before

if you want to run 100 octane often and can't find it or you don't want to pay the king's ransom for it, some time back there was major and extensive discussion on mixing in a common industrial additive that can be found at home depot, which when mixed should up the octane rating of your gas. i'm on dial-up and too lazy to search, but last i looked there were some writeups in the info forum which would then allow a more detailed search. ooh, i rember now, it's toluene.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Yes, one of their stations down here has 100 octane.
I've never tried it, but a lot of the nice hot rods around here use it I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.