Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
It helps the computer know when to turn on the interior lights on the buttons and stuff (they automatically click on to illuminate the main lights and dash lights). I think it also has something to do with the automatic wipers and AC, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I think it is used by climatronic - if the sun is streaming in the windows, it would assume the car is warmer, and turn up the A/C. I've never had my main lights come on automatically, although in Norway it might be different.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is the little raised part in the center of the windshield demister vent. The climatronic uses the information from it and the rest of the temperature sensors in the algorithm which works out how much air and from where comes into the car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's a Climatronic sensor. When it's sunny the temperature at the top of the cabin will rise. Clima sends cooler air to the face vents and screen to counter the raised temp and maintain the requested set value.

When it's not sunny there is no such imbalance of face/feet temperature so all vents get similar heated/cooled air.

Nothing to do with the interior lights AFAIK

David 8)

·
Registered
249 Posts
There is also a sunlight sensor on the back of interior rear view mirrors (which faces towards the front of the car) that have automatic dimming. It is on the left side. Cover this sensor with your hand during the daytime and the rear view mirror will go dark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts