Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice here. I've been on the prowl for some high end sunglasses for driving the last couple of weeks.
Curious to know if anybody has used / owned Maui Jim and or Serengeti glasses or other high end models. These are not $49.99 glasses I'm talking about, so I'm not looking for comparisons of the like. I'm looking to spend upwards of $400 per pair, more if it can be justified.
This AZ sun has proven a force to be reckoned with. I spend a large amount of time behind the wheel in the driving sun and quite honestly, it's nothing short of dangerous without eye protection.
So I'm looking for personal experiences that can help me make an informed purchase.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've been using Ray-Ban glasses for many years (the aviator style). I am perhaps on my 5th or 6th pair. I just recently had cataract surgery so it was time for a new pair. There are prescription glasses, also cut for bi-focal use, and with full photochromic capability. The photochromic capability has improved significantly in recent years, the time from clear to sun (and reverse) is very short. I opted for the largest lens available. Sort of Audrey Hepburn size. Not cheap, $600. For my regular glasses, I went to Costco for a set for about $230.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been using Ray-Ban glasses for many years (the aviator style). I am perhaps on my 5th or 6th pair. I just recently had cataract surgery so it was time for a new pair. There are prescription glasses, also cut for bi-focal use, and with full photochromic capability. The photochromic capability has improved significantly in recent years, the time from clear to sun (and reverse) is very short. I opted for the largest lens available. Sort of Audrey Hepburn size. Not cheap, $600. For my regular glasses, I went to Costco for a set for about $230.

I did try a few pair of Ray-Ban's. And your right, the technology has come a long way. Most high end glasses have a minimum of 9 layers of coatings, various polarizing effects and varying spectrums of UV protection.
The Maui Jim and Serengeti's both have full photochromic capability in both the regular and prescription glasses.
Fortunately, at least for now, I don't need prescription glasses.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
I've been wearing Oakley Half Jackets for 8 years. I love the wraparound that keeps the sun from coming in on the sides unfiltered. I'm only on my second pair too, they hold up well.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I use Maui Jim sport sunglasses - polarized, non-prescription - for many years now. I continued to be very happy with them.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I finally purchased the Serengeti's model Brando. $260 for them.
Took almost 2 weeks to get when it said 3 days at check-out. So that was a bit disappointing.
Should've stuck with Maui Jim's.
I'm thoroughly impressed with the Serengeti lens, but the frames are something to be desired. When you put them on, take them off and lay them down on the table, they just feel cheap.
The frames are to flexible in the nose piece area. You can hear and feel the frames scraping the edges of the lenses.
While not the most expensive pair of glasses around I think for that kind of money the frames should be significantly better than what they are.
Should've stuck with the Maui Jim's. That 'gut feeling' is usually the right way to go. Live & learn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts