Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Depends on size of tires. If they are in factory limits-follow VW recomendations that you can find on stickers in car or in manual. If it is diff you must calculate.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Also depends on your driving style, your preference for soft ride vs. better mileage and tire wear, etc. Also, I have been told that the vehicle spec pressures listed on the car are derrived to maximize vehicle breaking. So, keep in mind that over-inflated tires don't brake as efficiently.... tire pressure is all about trade-offs, and is a never ending debate. Personally, I like to run a couple lbs high all year long.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
The indicated pressures on your gas cap are minimums. Start there, then go by feel. As mentioned... it depends on the size and specific tire. For my 225/40-18's I'm running 39 psi up front and 36 psi in back. Ran 36 psi up front and 34 psi in the rear on my 16" stock wheels.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I like to run 34 psi all around, but I think its a personal thing. The car feels more nimble to me at that pressure than at the more typical 30-32.

·
Registered
872 Posts
pass-variant said:
The indicated pressures on your gas cap are minimums. Start there, then go by feel. As mentioned... it depends on the size and specific tire. For my 225/40-18's I'm running 39 psi up front and 36 psi in back. Ran 36 psi up front and 34 psi in the rear on my 16" stock wheels.
39psi?!? How's your tire wear? I tried 35psi one day and ran through some dust to see my contact patch; the edges of my tires weren't even touching the pavement (I'm on the same size). I'm back down to 30psi and the entire width of tread is making good even contact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
JDigga
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing