Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I´m a proud owner of a 1997 b5 1.8T bifuel ( gas + lpg :thumbup: ), it has been serving me well without huge repairs thanks to everyone in this forum, so to begin, many thanks for all the dedication of all of you b5 owners and thank you for providing great info on how to keep this cars runing smoothly.
It has 105 kmile on the odometer but it was in really bad shape when I bought it, i spent some cash in maintenance but to be honest I neglected the aesthetics a lot, It's expensive to keep a car here ( Portugal ) , insurance, anual tax the fuel it´s expensive so I always gave some more attention to maintenance than to other stuff, I don´t use the car a lot ( I have the car from my company and my wife´s smart car diesel ) so the passat in the last 2 or 3 years made 10kmiles, but now i just wanted to give it some shine, I was thinking in selling it but the value is very small so I will prefer to keep it and giving it a new life.

I will be doing a massive interior work:

• Changing the seats and door cards to leather
  • removing dash to fix supports and broken glove box supports, check heater core and remove rattles
  • remove interior pannels to restore, replace carpet
  • fix noises and rattles
  • remove sealing ( didn´t remember a propper name ) to fix it and restore it
  • check window clips
  • check electrical wires
  • fix some wter infiltrations

Also will do some work on the maintenance side and body work:

• new paint job - ouch, will hurt my wallet :)
  • some trim work and replacement
  • Brake fluid change
  • power steering fluid change
  • oil pressure test, compression test, boost leak test
  • Pcv revision ( it´s seems to be working good but will do it )
  • o2 sensor replacement ( is it really necessary in the older AEB's if nothing points that it's failing? )
  • Tie rod replacement ( all controll arms already replaced )
  • leaking steering rack ( I hope i can find a way to do it withou having to replace it but I doubt it )
  • Gearbox oil change - it´s hard to find redline or motul for a decent price here

I don´t remember other things to do right now but I will add it as soon I remember, regarding the maintenace made in the past i replaced maf ( broken it while cleaning - duh ) , cleaned TB , replaced battery, full Timing belt kit replacement 3 years ago, cts, spark plugs, synthetic oil with upgraded filter every 4k for the last 20k , control arm kit, bilstein b4 shocks, and a few other things.

I´m thinking also in install a android phone or tablet ( I have A bunch of HD2´s laying around a 8inch dual core tablet that I don´t use ) in the car to improve the media system on board. I´m collecting some ideas here:
HD2 in car project - need your ideas guys.. - xda-developers

Performance wise, for now I will keep it because my car runs on lpg, and I have 2 systems that I need to pay attention, also my lpg injectors need to be replaced if I want to raise power, so for now I will not mess with it.

I will add pictures later, let me say that I can do this slowly cause I don´t need the car, and It´s a lot of things to do so I will try to keep it as cheap as possible.

Any inputs will be appreciatted,

thanks guys and gils

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lol! Sounds like a fun project, especially if you can do some of the work on your own. Are you going to post some pics as you go along?

·
Registered
154 Posts
As far as O2 sensor goes, I've read some recommendations to replace it about 100K (miles) - you have about 70K on it so I'd say it's not necessary. I'm not sure if age plays any role with O2 sensors - if it's working fine, I wouldn't touch it at this point.

Good luck with your project and post pics!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol! Sounds like a fun project, especially if you can do some of the work on your own. Are you going to post some pics as you go along?
the majority of the work will be done by myself, except the paint job and the leather conversion..
of course I will add photos,also I'm going to need your opinions so the photos are a must,I just don't know if I should add them to the OP or sharing as I go.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as O2 sensor goes, I've read some recommendations to replace it about 100K (miles) - you have about 70K on it so I'd say it's not necessary. I'm not sure if age plays any role with O2 sensors - if it's working fine, I wouldn't touch it at this point.

Good luck with your project and post pics!
I have 170 kkm so aprox 100kmiles, I think I will diagnose and if necessary I will replace it..
thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Yugo...Its been 5 months. How did everything turn out?
I want to do most the things on your interior list. Did you happen to take before/after pics??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts