Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've been readin these forums for a while now and I am getting quiet addicted! Finally, I have something to post about and get some personal advice!

This summer I should be getting a job on campus here at UConn. Now, being a broke college student, I don't necessarily have the money to go all out, but I definitely want something more exhilirating than stock for my '99 1.8T. Now, this is where the question is for you guys. I'm hoping to spend something close to $1,000 on my car. I was planning on getting an APR chip for cheap (I've got a friend who has an inside connection), tints, intake, and a radar detector. Im thinking this will give me the most enjoyable ride for cheapest price. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with what else I could choose to upgrade that'll gimme the bang for the buck I'm looking for. Thanks!

Forgot to put in the car specs:
Black 1999 1.8T triptronic

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking that. I've heard that you should do suspension first if you're serious about modding your car. However, I don't know how much else I'd want to put into the car after this summer (I'm kinda hoping I don't get addicted). I'm more looking for mods that will directly make driving more enjoyable. Are sport suspensions obviously more enjoyable to drive?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
a new suspension is going to make a difference. Check out the GB section and you will find some awesome deals. I personally think that a radar and intake could wait. The stock air intake is actually quite efficient and would suffice. I don't know how cheap you are getting the APR chip, but for you car the neuspeed 1.0 bar chip is available from greed speed for 179. Most chips will produce similar gains and for your car I would consider the neuspeed chip the most bang for the buck, and you would be left with more than 800 for everything else. I know how it is to be on a budget. If I had the funds I would go for the APR chip, but I don't which is why I am going for Wett. The neuspeed chip for my car is still priced quite high. :cry:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
When I first modded my car, I got the chip first because it was so attractive (50hp for 350 bucks). The gains were nice, but I could really feel the car stressing the suspension. After being able to accelerate faster, you can really feel how much your car swats during accelleration and rolls in corners.

If I were to go back and do it all over again, I would do the suspension first. I got mine installed a few months ago, and it puts more of a smile on my face than when I installed the chip.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
a sportier suspension makes driving so much fun, especially if you are chipped. I would say, skip the wheels, intake and tints, just go w/ suspension and chip, then why u get hooked u can do the wheels for looks and performance (better tires) and then tints ect. ect. ect. ect.....

·
Registered
666 Posts
I agree, you can do the suspension yourself for less than $200, get a chip for a deal, and get some decent wheels from that tire thread floating around this forum(includes free s&h). All this for less than a grand, and a solid foundation :thumbup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is some great advice! Thanks.

Is $200 really enough for a good suspension? I know I can get help putting it in myself, so installation is not a problem. I remember looking around online before for sport suspension kits and they were priced a lot higher. The APR chip, I should be able to get for under $300, so I'm pretty psyched about that.

Chip $300 + Suspension $200 = $500... still have $500 left! What else would be some good performance suggestions?

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
UCONNB5 said:
This is some great advice! Thanks.

Is $200 really enough for a good suspension? I know I can get help putting it in myself, so installation is not a problem. I remember looking around online before for sport suspension kits and they were priced a lot higher. The APR chip, I should be able to get for under $300, so I'm pretty psyched about that.

Chip $300 + Suspension $200 = $500... still have $500 left! What else would be some good performance suggestions?
it'd be recommended that you get your shocks changed at the same time, else you'd have to change them shortly later anyway. if you're still running the original shocks, then they're probably almost gone by now.

if it were me, i'd get the neuspeed chip for ~180 + neuspeed springs $155 + neuspeed sport shocks $425

p.s. check out the group buy forum for the springs/shocks, and bug S_Klass to start a Neuspeed chip GB!

other good choices would be the chas lower tie bar $100 and a rear sway bar (100-200).

tinting would also be good, if it's very sunny and hot where you are.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
UCONNB5 said:
... still have $500 left! What else would be some good performance suggestions?
K&N air filter - somewhere around $50 to $65.
This was one of my first mods. I could feel and hear a slight difference. (better accelleration!)
It will work WITH your chip and it is cleanable/reuseable! 8)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hehe... I can see how once you start, you just get sucked in....

Oh well, should be a fun ride :wink:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I would say APR chip for $300 and suspension for $600 (shock/ spring combo, don't know where you can get that for $200). That would probably give the best overall performance for your money, and you might have a little change left over.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Getting just the springs just isn't worth it. You might as well replace the shocks at the same time.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
If you can get the chip for $300, I would also do suspension - figure another $650 for springs and shocks and then take the remaining $50 and save it for your first speeding ticket.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Check out the GB section - S_Klass has a good deal going on Neuspeed and Koni combo. I think he's got the springs for $155 and the shocks for about $425 so you're under $600 already. Tons of us have taken advantage so getting someone to show you a pic should be a piece of cake too. I didn't get my shocks from him as I was able to get a good deal on a used set with low miles but definitely check it out.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Tint is always first on my list with any auto I get for I feel naked without it. Forget the intake just get a drop in. As far as radar dectector that can wait and cops hate to see them in your car.
I would go with that Apr if you can get it cheap then as everyone has said S_Klass has a killer deal on neuspeed springs & neuspeed bilsteins for the suspension.
That should keep you in the 1K range for Mods and the most bang for the buck also.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Warped said:
Tint is always first on my list with any auto I get for I feel naked without it. Forget the intake just get a drop in. As far as radar dectector that can wait and cops hate to see them in your car.
I would go with that Apr if you can get it cheap then as everyone has said S_Klass has a killer deal on neuspeed springs & neuspeed bilsteins for the suspension.
That should keep you in the 1K range for Mods and the most bang for the buck also.
You may also want to check but when I last lived in CT (years ago), radar detectors were illegal. At the time, if you got pulled over and had one in your car - even if it wasn't turned on - they would write you a ticket for $100 on the spot. IIRC you couldn't even have it in the trunk although unless they suspected you had a body back there, not sure how they'd ever know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
11 Participants
UCONNB5
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing